MC113 Your eBay account has been permanently suspended

xkell
Community Member

Anyone have experience with this as a result of creating a new account? I've had two accounts for years (this one for selling, other for buying) and had recently been considering an additional one to potentially serve as my 'store', while keeping sales of my personal secondhand stuff separate. Basically going from two to three and my purpose seemingly in harmony with the multiple accounts policy.

So yesterday I finally get around to setting up the new account. 24 hours later, bam! I received this e-mail:

Your eBay account has been permanently suspended because we noticed activity that we believe is a risk to our community.

This means the following:
- You can’t buy or sell on eBay any longer. Any other accounts that you own or that are associated with this account have also been suspended.
- Outstanding selling fees are due immediately, and any amounts that you haven’t previously disputed will be charged to the payment method we have on file.

The safety of our community is a top priority for us, so our decision to permanently suspend your account is final and can’t be appealed.

And I've no clue why. I wasn't creating the new account surreptitiously - was done with the same browser and IP I use to login to my existing accounts and it had matching details other than its own e-mail address (to help keep its activity separate). I verified my phone number, linked to PayPal, went through and set various account preferences, and that was all - no buying/selling had occurred yet.

Any insights would be welcome. Obviously I'm now concerned about my existing accounts given the wording of the e-mail, so if I'm unable to respond at some point, that'll be why.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Go to the link below and use the "chat with us" option ASAP or eBay could close all your accounts.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/account/account-holds-restrictions-suspensions/account-holds-restrictio...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Go to the link below and use the "chat with us" option ASAP or eBay could close all your accounts.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/account/account-holds-restrictions-suspensions/account-holds-restrictio...

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, your other accounts are already gone.....one gone, all gone.

It is obviously a mistake, but I don't envy you trying to get it sorted.  The only avenue of appeal at present is Live Chat.....Good Luck.

Edit......do not attempt to open another account to contact ebay if you have trouble with your current accounts.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

xkell
Community Member

Thanks guys. I'm in the chat now trying to find out more.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Hope it goes well for you.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

xkell
Community Member

Pleased to report the new account has been reinstated, and hoping it means my existing accounts are safe. Was somewhat nerve-wracking given the risk of total banishment if it went the other way. Sounds like you guys have seen it happen Smiley Frustrated

The brief questions I was asked in the live chat review gave no insight into what the problem was.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

You are one of the lucky ones, usually if eBay NARU's an account nothing will get them to change their mind.

Well done !!!!

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Yes, we have seen it happen before but I must admit there has usually been some basis for the suspensions no matter how minor or ridiculous it sounds.

I have never seen it happen just because you opened another account.  Multiple accounts are not a problem as long as each account has a separate email address.

This account that you have used for posting seems to have survived intact so hopefully the other one has too.

Come back for further advice if anything goes haywire......just don't attempt to open a new account if one is suspended.....it is a death sentence for your ebay career.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

xkell
Community Member

Just logged into my other existing account (the buying one) for the first time since the issue and had to do a CAPTCHA, which is highly abnormal (if it's ever happed before, I've forgotten). Wondered if that offered any clue about what happened, but now figure my IP probably got flagged after the suspension of the new account.

While I'm glad I apparently hit the jackpot getting the new account reinstated, the irony is I no longer intend to use it as getting further invested in eBay would be foolish after this experience - it's really sapped my confidence in their processes (never had any illusions about eBay being my best friend, but to be on such thin ice after 21 years in good standing as both a buyer and seller still came as a surprise). Unsure if should delete the new account or if safer to leave it idle, now that I have to worry about seemingly innocuous activity being misconstrued and deemed suspicious.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

I would leave it alone for the time being, as you say, just in case.

I feel for you, 21 years - one word that most definnitely could not be attributed to eBay ethics - Loyalty

Glad it worked out

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply