Managed Payments and Creating a Buyer's Tax Invoice

I thought I'd note how the Managed Payments fee can be treated on tax invoices. If others are doing it differently and/or take issue with the process I'm about to explain, then we can all help each other out.

It's taken us (my son is doing a double degree in finance and marketing) a while to try and work through this. A method needs to be mindful if eBay might adjust their payment service fee in future if buyers use a fee-free payment option which would increase the seller's income for the sale.

When you invoice a buyer, you usually have to provide a tax invoice for the whole sale but you don't want to record the sale (and be taxed) by a total which is not indicative of the actual money you receive from eBay (your actual income from eBay).

Let's use an eBay $49.95 sale example with managed payment Fee of $6.87, which results in $43.08 appearing in your bank account about 5 days later (if you're on a 1 day eBay turn-around plan - LOL).

Create a Tax Invoice under a general "eBay Customer" account with the actual eBay buyer's details in a reference field and/or shipping fields. First add the product sold, with an amount minus the eBay managed Payment Fee - $43.08. this will then show for the cost of the item under GST on Sales. The Tax Invoice Total has to show $49.95 as expected by the buyer and what they paid eBay. So we need to show separately the $6.87 fee on the tax invoice.

In your software accounting chart of accounts (we use Xero), you need to implement a "Merchant Fees" expense account (in the chart of accounts). Then set up a "Service/Product" account called "Fee eBay Managed Payments" - GST on Expenses that can be added to the tax invoice. On the buyer's tax invoice, add the "Fee eBay Managed Payments" $6.87 (shows as GST on expenses "Merchant Fees" account). 

When the $43.08 finally comes through to your bank account from eBay, it then has to be off-set (reconciled) against the tax invoice for $49.95 but manually, you have to add the $6.87 fee component, using the Merchant Fee account. The Merchant fee account will then have a Debit and Credit for $6.87 cancelling out. We use Xero accounting so it shows minus the GST by default. I'm assuming eBay is paying GST on the fees they take.

As a further note, I wrote to eBay management about how they should have an 'eWay' style reconciliation portal plugin for doing these bank feed line and invoice matching off-sets automatically.

Maybe others have another way of doing this? So far, this is what we're doing. Luckily, if something needs to roll-back or be edited down the track, we can do that using Xero accounting.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Managed Payments and Creating a Buyer's Tax Invoice

to the fees ebay take it depends on the gst thing as if you have a ABN linked to ebay and mark gst registered ebay will not change you GST as the fees as treated as gst exempted.     so the above would work for people that have not mark themselves as gst registered but people that the mark themselfs as Gst registered would have to drop the GST collected of the fees

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Our Tax Invoices come with an ABN - that of a company - Pty Ltd and include GST. However, whether or not eBay takes, records or pays GST is not really relevant because we should only be focused on the amount we finally get paid for our sale, everything else in the eBay equation has to cancel out within our accounting of their take because we never actually receive it. I'd be happy to see how this may alter if it is actionable differently.

Please remember, the amount eBay actually sends you is your only income from a sale. Therefore, you can only off-set your own expenses, cost of the item etc... against the income you recieve for the sale to your banking account.

As far as Tax Invoicing and GST is concerned, the Australian Government provides the following summary at https://www.business.gov.au/finance/payments-and-invoicing/invoicing-and-payments-explained :

Invoicing

An invoice is a record of purchase that allows your customers to pay you for the goods or services that you’ve provided. It gives your customers details of their purchase, including the:

• type of product or service provided
  • quantity
  • price agreed to

There are different types of invoice. Make sure you know which one to use. Proper invoicing helps you to protect your business’ cash flow, maintain good records and meet your tax obligations.

Regular invoices

If you run a business that is not registered for goods and services tax (GST), your invoices won’t include a tax component. These are called regular invoices. They should not include the words 'tax invoice'.

Tax invoices

If you’re registered for GST, you must provide tax invoices. Tax invoices include the GST amount for each item along with some extra details. You need to provide a tax invoice if any of these apply:

• The purchase is taxable.
  • The purchase is more than $82.50 (including GST).
  • Your customer asks for a tax invoice.

If your customer asks for a tax invoice and you’re not registered for GST, show on your invoice that there is no GST. You can do this by including the statement ‘price does not include GST’ or showing the GST as nil or zero.

Recipient created tax invoices

In special cases, the buyer can provide you with the tax invoice. These are called recipient created tax invoices (RCTIs).

Go to the ATO website to learn more about RCTIs (https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/In-detail/Your-industry/Scrap-metal/GST-and-scrap-metal--code-of... ), including when and how you can use them.

Example of when to use a RCTI

RCTIs can be used if you sell a farming product and the buyer determines its value.

For example, sugar cane mills test crushed sugar cane for its sugar content. They decide how much to pay the seller based on the sugar content.

Once the mill knows the value of the sugar cane, it provides the seller with a recipient created tax invoice.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Well done - this has helped us wade through this new challenge in Xero.  Have you worked out how to reconcile several transactions [due weekly payout] of which one is a refund?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

What you sell is the $49.95 this is the only amount showing in the tax invoice to customer. Customer pays $49.95, not less. You then expensed that eBay fees separately.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I think that the seller issuing a Tax invoice to the buyer is really a flawed concept even if the seller is registered for GST.

The way I see it is that the buyer's transaction is really with eBay and not with the seller.

eBay bills the buyer for the item they are purchasing and the buyer pays money to eBay. The buyer doesn't pay the seller therefore the seller can't be invoicing the buyer.

This Managed payments system by eBay has really muddied the whole seller/buyer relationship. Before it, the buyer made the purchase and paid the item price to the seller's PayPal or another account. The seller then paid eBay for the services he/she used by the way of fees.

I don't mind the Managed payments now that I got used to it, but the occasional request from the buyer 'Please send a Tax invoice' drives my blood pressure up.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Yeah, but the customer doesn't pay you. They pay eBay and you don't get the $49.95 - eBay does.
It is eBay that has to issue a tax invoice to the customer. They are charging and collecting the money.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply