Managed Payments fee still payable on order cancellation

Hi all,

This may have been discussed in some other threads however have not been able to find anything. 

I am in agreeance with most that having been forced on to managed payments by eBay which I totally dislike and is not at all suited to my business and methods. 

HOWEVER had an instance a buyer purchased an item and paid for the item and within an hour has put in a cancellation request with the reason *Bought by mistake* - not sure how you would buy something and pay for it by mistake. 

The issue is on accepting the cancellation it was noted that the Porcessing fee of $0.30 is not refundable by Ebay and will therefore be a cost I have to bare. 

I know it is only 30 cents but really why should it cost me for an item that the buyer has bought by mistake.  Just another money grabbing way for ebay - this fee should be borne by the BUYER who bought the item by mistake and requested the cancellation NOT THE SELLER.  As per normal EBAY in FAVOUR of the buyer who can do no wrong!!

My thoughts are this is totally out of ORDER BY EBAY to collect this from the seller.   

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Prior to Managed Payments, when a buyer paid by Paypal, they also kept the 30c processing fee.

So no difference really.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

"Bought By Mistake" translates as "I found it cheaper after I paid.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Yes you are right that you still paid via paypal, however now since eBay continually marketed how good managemed payments was going to be for us as sellers and it is all processed under the one umbrella I still feel this could have been deducted from the buyer not the seller. Buyers choice to cancel. 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

PayPal keep all of the fees, both the 30c flagfall and the 2.6% portion, regardless of the reason for refunding, so while cancelled transactions are still not ideal, this is one thing that is cheaper for sellers under managed payments (full refunds, anyway - partial refunds don't qualify for any fee credits).

Buyers can cause un-recoverable costs / losses in a variety of ways, sometimes it's just easier to lump it all into "cost of doing business" and if it's common enough to be a noticeable burden, account for it in your pricing. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Paypal didn't refund that fee either

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

PayPal keep all of the fees, both the 30c flagfall and the 2.6% portion, regardless of the reason for refunding, so while cancelled transactions are still not ideal, this is one thing that is cheaper for sellers under managed payments (full refunds, anyway - partial refunds don't qualify for any fee credits).

Buyers can cause un-recoverable costs / losses in a variety of ways, sometimes it's just easier to lump it all into "cost of doing business" and if it's common enough to be a noticeable burden, account for it in your pricing. 

Technically they apparently don't (paypal) however I found they did for me within a certain timeframe, the 2.6% I mean

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply