Mandatory 30 day returns

Oh yeah, I forgot this new one (my items this week seemed to take three times as long to list, as I had to go through unchecking all these damn boxes)

Ebay sent me a note saying that I had to upgrade all of my auctions to 30 day returns, or they'd be taken down. Grudgingly I did this - but it struck me later: this 'returns' option is in regards to 'change of mind' reasons. They point out themselves that consumers are entitled to a refund under Australian law if the item is defective.  So why would they insist on a minimum 30 day return period on a return policy which is optional in the first place?

I suppose I could ask them, but I'm worn out talking to them lately, and getting sense out of them is usually like getting blood from a stone.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Mandatory 30 day returns

Very much the same here. The only really ridiculous experience I had with a buyer (other than them getting impatient if something doesn't turn up on time) was a nutjob in Florida - this was back in about 1999 or 2000 - I sold him a book about Padre Pio - an Italian priest who was supposed to display the Stigmata - this guy firstly argued that by asking him to pay first I was trying to embezzle him, and claimed to have reported me to the US postal fraud dept, The Supreme Court, and god knows what. I decided to be absurdly accomodating, and said I'd send him the book, and when it arrived he could pay me. The money never arrived, and he then claimed he'd sent it in an anvelope 'perfumed' so that the postal clerks couldn't 'smell the money'. This went on an on, and I decided never to sell anything with any religious associations again, since on this sample of one, it semed to attract nutters. I'm sure there are a few annoying experiences, but most of them have been with Ebay, not customers.

More on topic, after removing the return option on all of my auction i realised that ebay state that you have to explain your return policy in each auction, if you do this, so not sure how that will go.

I just found three more items they'd arbitrarily changed to 'best offer - despite a rep assuring me last week that it couldn't happen again.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@lupercal wrote:

I just found three more items they'd arbitrarily changed to 'best offer - despite a rep assuring me last week that it couldn't happen again.

This has been mentioned before, but ebay are now an authorised third party "app" on accounts (found under site preferences, down near the end). I have no idea what the middle one is for, but even if perfectly innocent and / or necessary, it never used to be there, and while the others specify what they're designed to do, that eBay inc is just sitting there, all piggy in the middle, and rouses my suspicions.... 

(I know other's have revoked authorisation, but I don't know what - if any - effect it has, and if it's just something normal, I daresay it would just reappear when undertaking specific actions, even just signing in). 

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

I understand that if sellers revoke authority for those third-party eBay apps, the apps reappear with authority.

This is anecdotally from the US eBay sites, though; I've not seen it myself.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

According to that list, I've 'authorised' eight different variations on Ebay to 'perform certain actions' - as well as 'Lithium Technologies, Inc', who I think power this board.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

I switched all items to no returns after eBay sent me this email. I am not a free lending event decorator and I do not want to be used by some unhonest buyers.

I am even thinking of putting a note in all my items that I used to have 3-7 days return but after being forced by eBay to make it 30 days minimum I had to stop accepting them. Then I want to put eBay support number and ask buyers to complain about this to eBay directly. They need to see how buyers are happy with their idea to force everybody to bend anyway ebay wants.

BTW, ebay just makes up things without even thinking a bit further. Who is going to pay for return for a change of mind and why sellers have to refund initial postage cost as well. I have not had much returns, may be 2-3 over 9 years but everytime it is a problem with initial and return postage. Customers what to get the full refund and for me to pay return postage.
I just ask the customer who wants to return my product whether they usually ask stores like BigW, KMart or Target to pay for their travel expenses when they want to come back and return something to these big sellers. Apparently they do not that so I only return the product cost and the customer loses on an initial postage and have to pay return postage.
Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

ozstockman, you probably mean it tongue-in-cheek, but it's unlikely to be a good idea to put a note like that onto your listings.

Buyers tend to look at evidence of a seller being affronted or put out by eBay's policies as ... something of which they don't want to be aware.  It 's a bit like a mediaeval comedy where one disgruntled peasant is egging on the rest of the disgruntled peasants. "Them up at the castle are taking a good fifth of our grain while our women and children starve; where's the fairness in that? I tell you, friends, we've got to fight them with pitchfork and shovel. Them with their silks and samite and spices from foreign places - what right have they got, then? Come on, let's show them what for!" Other peasants shout: "Yes!" "That's right!" "We'll not be downtrodden any more!" "Down with Lord Fatguts!" "Stand up for our rights!" "They're our carrots!" "Can't even buy a loaf of bread!" "My little 'uns are starving!" "Grrr!" ... and then along come the lord's retinus and guards: "What's going on here? Are you inciting unrest? Anyone dissatisfied?" ... A huge silence falls, and if the first peasant is unfortunate enough to rely upon his fellows, he will find himself the lone little voice.

Basically speaking, your buyers won't care about your (their seller's) issues; primariliy they just want a hassle-free transaction.

By all means you can switch to "no returns". I think for many sellers it's the only way to mitigate high risks with what they sell.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

You do write such amusing posts. Thank you.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply