My account has been restricted on 3 consecutive times. Lol Getting over their childish games!!!

mcbaj
Community Member

This is just a vent really as I'm fed up with eBay's childish games.

MY account was first restricted for three day, as I was accused for selling outside of eBay. Of course they had zero proof, only that i gave someone my phone number is a message they sent to me so they could talk to me over the phone rather than playing message tennis. So an accusation is enough for a conviction according to eBay.

Second time, a buyer wanting my phone number, I said no, give me yours and I'll ring you. Hmm, got another 3days off. 

And just this morning I got another 7 days cooling off, all because I put in my description if anyone wants to chat, leave your number and I will call you.

What f*&$%ing morons! I have no intentions of selling outside of eBay. Its just easier to talk to the potention buyer over the phone if they have more than one question. I run a store on here too which generates around 2k of income for eBay per month. So I sell a bit of stuff. Phone numbers are plastered all over the store and no issues there. Oh wait, probably because your making money off that account...

Dumb chit city must be where eBay comes from.

Vent over, for now.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: My account has been restricted on 3 consecutive times. Lol Getting over their childish games!!!

Begging will not work either

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Re: My account has been restricted on 3 consecutive times. Lol Getting over their childish games!!!

Beginning to understand that, sadly.

I'll say it again. We all make honest mistakes, for that is the human condition, and allowance should be made for that. It's immoral and unconscionable to think it's absent. But, to be penalised for the mistakes of others is beyond all reasonable thinking.

How grand it must be to have the power to change the course of life, adversely for others, with immunity and little if any recourse for them.

This is just my perception Mr eBay in the short time I've been back here. I'd be so pleased for you to change it.

Melina.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

The frustrating thing about the "no contact before a sale" is that if you want to inspect an item, ie furniture, TV etc you can't.  That being said if I wanted to buy items as such, I will go elsewhere, where I can inspect/test the item before buying. Same goes for trying on clothing before buying, a lot of people want to try things on, whether you have measurements listed or not. So essentially they're shooting themselves in the foot and actually turning away potential buyers.

The whole thing can lead to a buser getting slapped with a Non Payment Dispute if you get a seller who is not happy that you've "agreed" to buy their item, gone to pick it up, but find it not suitable, not as described etc.and say you don't want it.  It also means the seller has to cancel the sale, relist it, and potentially lose other interested parties.

eBay has become too paranoid on losing out on the $$$$$$ and given fees have been inflated from a small % in the past to almost 10%, plus their ridiculous 10% cut on postage their already making buckets of $$$$.

yes, there are probably a few sellers who would just sell to someone who comes to inspect an item, but that, I imagine, is a minority.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Repeating the evil deed after one suspension wasn't the most sensible decision, doing it a third time after two suspensions was downright dumb.

Ebay announced the ban on exchanging any contact information either through emails or in listings was no longer allowed, if you did not read that policy update it is hardly ebay's fault.

It may be silly and counter productive but it is ebay's playground and so they make the rules.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

I am in the same boat. My account was restricted till today for 7 days. My buyer sent me a message saying something like "please send me an invoice to {email address]"

Technically it was the second restriction but only if they count the first ban when they restricted my and my buyers account for me asking a buyer for their postcode. They apologised for it after I called them and removed the first ban straight away but it seems they are counting it too as a valid restriction.

Back to the last restriction, I called them and tried to make a sense for their supervisor explaining that they assume that we are thieves who are trying to avoid fees and this assumption is totally wrong and goes against laws where people must to be proven doing something wrong before they are punished but eBay simply does not care. They do not even care when I have pointed out that the sale has gone through eBay and nobody has stolen their precious $1.4 fee

Based on all that is that plus my sales are down 70% in the last 2-3 years and it is getting much harder to sell custom made products on eBay I do not see any reason to keep selling anything here.

I am preparing to close my account as a seller and probably as a buyer too.

Sure there was a lot of good things on ebay for the last 8 years I was selling here but all this negative stuff happening to me and my customers for the last 2-3 years is much bigger and more destructive than all good stuff happened on eBay before
Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

BTW, after my talk with that eBay supervisor I realised she has a twisted thinking because she trully belives that putting your business card in a shipping box is violation of their policy too.

She thinks that if a buyer gets a card with all contact details they won't use eBay for their next purchases from that seller and that's a violation of their policy. It is either total mess in their heads or they think they totally own all sellers here.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

They could well be right. But how would they know?

They rely on their rusted-on buyers anyway, so why do they think this (the contact details in all forms) would make a difference? Even if the price was cheaper.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

They rely on their rusted-on buyers anyway, so why do they think this (the contact details in all forms) would make a difference? Even if the price was cheaper.

To some point yes, but they cannot call it a violation of any policy as it is a buyer choice where to buy their next product from. 

However she trully believes it is a violation so lets hope it is just her mind. Otherwise each seller soon will be penalised based on eBay assumption that a seller has already put a card in their box and eBay is loosing something. 

I would not be suprised if it happens because they are doing almost the same with links, phone numbers and emails in messages. They do not care about that some businesses must have much more functionality than just sending texts and jpeg files to their customers through their messages. They do not care to provide it and that's why some sellers trying to go around this violation.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

@ozstockman wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

To some point yes, but they cannot call it a violation of any policy as it is a buyer choice where to buy their next product from. 

However she trully believes it is a violation so lets hope it is just her mind. Otherwise each seller soon will be penalised based on eBay assumption that a seller has already put a card in their box and eBay is loosing something. 

I would not be suprised if it happens because they are doing almost the same with links, phone numbers and emails in messages. They do not care about that some businesses must have much more functionality than just sending texts and jpeg files to their customers through their messages. They do not care to provide it and that's why some sellers trying to go around this violation.

They will have to ban Paypal then.

After a transaction, both buyer and seller have access to a valid email address for the other. Plus the seller has a name and address. And phone number, if they use eBay labels.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

And they would have to ban postal services too, as the buyer and seller can keep track of each others' street addresses outside of eBay. 🙂
Message 20 of 20
Latest reply