My account was hacked.

Hello everyone. I haven't used my eBay account for several months, as I found the new fees and charges made it too difficult to sell my small personal items of clothing on eBay. Yesterday, I received emails from eBay advising my account was hacked and used to sell false items...from what I can gather a motor home! When I logged in, I found my inbox full of messages from people asking for details about my listed item, much to my horror. One kind person was telling me "my" listing was a scam and that it was clear I'd been hacked. Unfortunately, I cannot even respond to these emails explaining to people that the listing wasn't mine or apologize for the situation, as eBay won't allow me tomrespond. I'm so worried my good name on eBay will be ruined if I decide to sell again in the future. Any advice? Is this common?
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

My account was hacked.

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

How is anyone going to know about this?

Ebay has removed the listing so it does not even show in your completed listings.  There is no feedback left to say that there ever was a listing on your account.

The only people who MIGHT remember your non-listing are those who asked questions and they would have been advised by ebay that it was a scam listing which had been removed.

Unless you are planning on selling a motorhome I would suggest that those potential buyers will never look at your account again.

To be blunt....you are worrying about nothing IMO.Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

happened to me once they listed a $30.00 tractor as a 3 day auction i caught it in time and ended the auction, nothing you can do so just forget it.

i dont give my pass word to any one any more.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

Hi my ebay account was hacked into last year. It happened about 2.00 in the morning. Just happened to get up and noticed my phone going off with all these false listings. About 14 were listed in all and they put them up for one day auction. Few already had bids on them. Things like cameras, motors which I don't sell. I was lucky as I rang ebay straight away and they cancelled all the listings in time. Didn't get much sleep that night though. Shows how easily these things can happen though

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

It might be useful to remind others that the eBay database was hacked last year and we were all advised to change our passwords.  I'm pretty sure eBay forced me to change my password.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

Gabrielle, you should also change your paypal password. As I assume, that's the main target when an ebay account has been hacked...jilly

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

My account was hacked.

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

How is anyone going to know about this?

Ebay has removed the listing so it does not even show in your completed listings.  There is no feedback left to say that there ever was a listing on your account.

The only people who MIGHT remember your non-listing are those who asked questions and they would have been advised by ebay that it was a scam listing which had been removed.

Unless you are planning on selling a motorhome I would suggest that those potential buyers will never look at your account again.

To be blunt....you are worrying about nothing IMO.Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

happened to me once they listed a $30.00 tractor as a 3 day auction i caught it in time and ended the auction, nothing you can do so just forget it.

i dont give my pass word to any one any more.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

sorry a $30,000.00 tractor not $30.00...

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

Hi my ebay account was hacked into last year. It happened about 2.00 in the morning. Just happened to get up and noticed my phone going off with all these false listings. About 14 were listed in all and they put them up for one day auction. Few already had bids on them. Things like cameras, motors which I don't sell. I was lucky as I rang ebay straight away and they cancelled all the listings in time. Didn't get much sleep that night though. Shows how easily these things can happen though
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

saarzi
Community Member

How is it going to ruin your name? 

Theres no evidence it ever happened on your account, and its not like any more than maybe 3 people out of millions might remember you - one who won an auction that was cancelled and two others who might remember an auction they asked a question about but didnt win.  Sounds like a normal Ebay day to me.

Im pretty sure you have zero to worry about.

If youre really paranoid though, you can always change your Ebay name (go to My Ebay > Account).

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

I hope you changed your password!

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

It might be useful to remind others that the eBay database was hacked last year and we were all advised to change our passwords.  I'm pretty sure eBay forced me to change my password.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

go-tazz
Community Member

@gabrielle255 wrote:
 Is this common?
It happens,tease.gif
Watch out for spoof or phishing emails you may get, as a precaution ,run all your spy ware and virus
protection and change your passwords,(you may have downloaded a Trojan or Keylogger).

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

My account was hacked.

Thank you Lyndal. I've now taken a deep breath, but I did feel very badly about the poor people who were taken in by the scammer and wanted to make it right if I could. I wasn't aware eBay contacted them routinely to advise it was a scam.
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply