Need advice RE buyer who won't pay.

Basically, I sold three items on the one day to a "buyer" who still hasn't paid. I sent a combined invoice with reduced postage on day 2. On day 6 I emailed her to ask if she still wanted the items, or wished to cancel. She replied that she intended to wait to see if I listed anything else worthwhile. (My listing said I was clearing items out my music cupboard). She obviously didn't plan to pay any time soon. I tried (unsuccessfully) to find out what else she wanted. After no further contact I opened three NPB cases (Days 9, 12, 12), emailing her each time that she could still pay or cancel, and waited the four days. It's now day 17. Here's my problem - the buyer has contacted me in the last 24 hours, just as the four days was up, cranky that I've opened the cases. She still hasn't paid - claiming that the invoice doesn't show combined postage - which it does. Based on her feedback left for others she did a similar thing before and left a poor seller with three negatives. Should I just close the cases and wash my hands of her? Or have I done something wrong.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

cq_tech
Community Member
No, you've done nothing wrong. Quite the opposite, you've bent over backwards trying to accommodate her. Your buyer sounds like a bloody nightmare and you'll be well rid of her. Just close the NPB cases normally and if she does happen to leave negative feedback, contact eBay and they will remove them for you. Also, add her user ID to your BBL immediately.
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

I agree with CQ. close the cases quickly so she can't leave neg feedback and then block her from purchasing again. She had her chance.
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

As above but just to add, unfortunately there is the propensity for a small misunderstanding in the ebay purchase list.

Sometimes the order in the purchase list will show the total for the 3 items and total of 3 lots of postage making one think the combining hasn't been done. Then after going into pay, it shows total plus 3 lots of postage but a little further down it will show "you have received a discount on postage" with the amount of 2 postage costs being deducted.

Many buyers wait for it to show in the purchase list which it won't depending on how the seller has set up their account.

Anyway, back to it, close the cases NOW. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Close the cases and add you buyer to your blocked buyer list. Buyers that don't pay cannot leave feedback when the cases are closed unless there is a system error if this happens contact eBay customer support and they will remove the feedback.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I closed the cases - but I felt really awful. My hands were shaking! However, the three negatives she left a couple of years ago for a seller who didn't want to hold her items for over a month were a big incentive.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Hello, don't feel bad about it, you gave the buyer plenty of time to pay.Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Some people are just too hard.If I want to wait for more listings before post I always let seller know and ask if its ok and offer to pay  for what Iv chosen and they just hold ...sellers always very helpfull. She probably has no money or something

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

no need to feel bad at all... she had plenty of chances to pay

after being mucked around a couple of times when i first started selling i am far less patient

if they havent paid by day 3 they get a polite message from me asking if they need assistance and how i would appreciate payment asap.

if they dont reply, then case is opened on day 4 and closed on day 8, then relist and block bidder

if they do respond they get 1 chance to tell me when they will pay and if they dont then i open the case as soon as that day passes, and close 4 days later.. then relist the item straight away (and block the bidder)

no if buts or maybes.. and no other correspondence

i have heard so many  sob stories that i just dont care anymore.. even over a $5 item

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@hildegard112358 wrote:

I closed the cases - but I felt really awful. My hands were shaking! However, the three negatives she left a couple of years ago for a seller who didn't want to hold her items for over a month were a big incentive.

don't forget to add her to your blocked list so she can't try to buy again

http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply