Neg Feedback from buyer when buyer refused to return item

Only just found these forums

I recently sent 2 items to a buyer.  Both items were sent separately, e-parcel with signature, separate sales.

About 1 month after receiving the items the buyer contacted me and demanded 1 of the items be sent again as apparently one was broken in post.  I asked the buyer why he had not contacted me 1 month sooner, he could not have any answer to this aside from "forgot"

I advised the buyer that although is 1 month if he returns the broken item so I can verify the breakage I can then send him a replacement, I thought this was fair.  Buyer immediately told me he would not return the broken item and that if I did not give him a free replacement that he would leave negative feedback on both items including the one he was happy with.

Now all this was done via e-bay messaging so I have a record of ALL messages both ways.

A few days later sure to his word he left negative feedback on BOTH items.

The item is worth $147.00, cost of the item is not an issue as my supplier will happily replace the item under his own warranty BUT he requires the broken item to do this thus why I ask for the broken item to be returned.

I contacted e-bay support and was told that this was simply an opinion of the buyer and they would not remove the second negative feedback or assist in any way.  They (E-Bay) advised that they saw all of the communication and despite the fact the buyer admits in writing he is making a threat of negative feedback on a positive sale (being the second item) in order to make a gain (in this case a second item for free) they are not willing to assist at all.

The way I see it, despite the fact that I had still offered after over a month to replace this item provided the alleged broken item was returned the buyer refused to co operate by issuing the return so I was right in not sending a replacement.

Has anyone had anything similar happen and was there a positive outcome?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

As its been almost 6 months,JMO but forget about it.

Unfortunately your follow up especially the 'rubbish buyer' makes you look worse than the buyer IMO.Thats the type of comment you usually find in Chinese sellers feedback follow ups as they seem to have a limited vocabulary.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Did you ask for a photo to confirm it was damaged? That would have been my first move, if they supplied one then I would have told them that I would send a prepaid and addressed satchel for them to return it in and once I had it back I would either send another one or refund. If they wouldn't provide a photo I would have asked them to return it at their expense and once I confirmed it was damaged I would send a replacement and refund them the cost of the return postage.

If they still negged me after that I would NOT have added an unprofessional follow ups as you did, they just make it look like you are the one to be avoided, not the buyer!

Ebay feedback has nothing to do with fair trading law, it is an opinion and unless the feedback breaches policy it is difficult, but not impossible, to get it removed.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Mitsfix-the reason I mentioned your follow up was as stated ie it doesn't help your complaint against the buyer.

It also COULD be read as YOU are admiting you sold the buyer rubbish.I've also seen Chinese sellers use the term 'junk buyer' which is just as funny & says more about the seller ie they could be seen to be admitting they sold junk.

Its up to you whether you take on board the need to remain professional IF something like this happens again.

JMO 🙂

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

In my message following I stated to the buyer that if a photo was sent of the broken item I would then send a replacement

His response was as follows 

"I don't have the time to mess with photos, the item was broken and I should not have to waste my time proving anything to you.  You are a seller and have the responsibility to ensure my item has been delivered in good condition"

Fair call on my reply, any suggestions as to how to reply to show other buyers we have tried to work with the buyer and had no result.

As for fair trading, I am not referring to feedback, I am referring to the fact that we have offered a replacement part upon proof of the original part being damaged and not simply told this guy to take a hike despite it being over a month between the item was received and the first contact was made to us.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Mitsfix,the problem is-its too late to do anything as its been almost 6 months.

If the buyer wouldn't co operate back then then they obviously didn't care about wasting $147 .

Honestly,I'd just let it go.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Please understand that I am not talking about "fixing" this occasion, I am trying to determine a way to avoid this happening again to either myself or another ebay seller.

I rarely have any issues with any buyers but when these occasions do occur it would be good to find out how to properly handle them both in reply to negative feedback as well as situations like this one where the buyer has used the feedback system to try and gain.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

As Fox said just let it go.  And never insult a buyer in your replies just state the facts "Buyer stated item damaged in post and was asked to return goods so we could replace or refund but refused"

You can please some of the people all of the time

All of the people some of the time

But you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Ebay Member since 2001
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Please understand that I am not talking about "fixing" this occasion, I am trying to determine a way to avoid this happening again to either myself or another ebay seller.

I rarely have any issues with any buyers but when these occasions do occur it would be good to find out how to properly handle them both in reply to negative feedback as well as situations like this one where the buyer has used the feedback system to try and gain.

What your buyer did is called feedback extortion, and it is not allowed. If this ever happens again, report them to Trust & Safety - when the messages are via eBay, they will be able to view the communication and determine if it is FB extortion. If they decide it is, any negs left will be removed.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

you reply should have been

Admitted other item damaged in transit. Refused to return.

not

Admitted other item damaged in transit. Refused to return. Rubbish ebayer

1. makes you look like the injured party

2. makes you look like the sort of aggressive Seller a good buyer would avoid

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply