New seller - nervous about current bidder

I’ve used eBay for many years as a buyer, but have only recently started selling and need some advice.

Someone has placed a bid on one of my auctions who has 100% positive feedback (score over 90), but when I look at the feedback they have left for others there are over 20 negative/neutrals, often with nasty comments such as the item was crap or rubbish. Looking at the sellers these comments were left for, often they had excellent feedback aside from this buyer.

I’m nervous because I don’t have much feedback as a seller (but all positive so far :-)). I looked at cancelling the bid (and adding the buyer to my blocked list), but eBay says can only be cancelled for good reason (e.g. can’t verify bidders identity). Does being wary of the buyer count as a good reason? They have left positive feedback too, I just don't like the odds - they seem difficult to please.

The auction doesn’t finish for another 3 days, should I let it run and hope they are outbid?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Just cancel their bid if you want, ebay don't really care what the reason is although I would probably leave it as I have little faith in the comments of sellers who think it is OK to breach ebay policy by leaving false positives. Who is to say they did not breach other policies and the negs were totally justified?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

You don`t need any other reason to cancel bid of a buyer when you feel that buyer may make life difficult for you.

Cancel his bid, and add to your blocked bidder list now. if you wish to end the listing and relist a little later to be sure he doesn`t try to contact you then do so. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Maybe read the post PJ instead of jumping on the bandwagon about other sellers.

OP if the feedback a buyer had left for many sellers gave me a strong sense that the buyer was difficult to please, they would be straight onto my BBL and their bid cancelled.  

Bit of risk management and just not worth any potential hassle I reckon, particularly for a new seller establishing a good reputation and seeking to avoid having their DSRs trashed.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

All members who only buy maintain a 100% rating.

TCT
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

If eBay were to say a word about the cancellation of this bidder, they would just be making a mockery of the whole feedback system.

Why have it there for buyers if sellers can't use it as a guide?

Good on you for checking the FB OP. You should follow your intuition.

Good luck on your selling 🙂

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

I'm with dotocm - sorry, but it sounds like a problem just waiting to happen.

Waves to cats

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

If u know what you are selling is as described and u know u will post in a timely manner u shouldn't be worried.

On another note I think I have solved the problem to low sales on ebay. A lot of sellers seem to block and cancel bids of certain buyers maybe they have blocked so many there is no one left to buy

:-):-):-p

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

If u know what you are selling is as described and u know u will post in a timely manner u shouldn't be worried.

On another note I think I have solved the problem to low sales on ebay. A lot of sellers seem to block and cancel bids of certain buyers maybe they have blocked so many there is no one left to buy

:-):-):-p

No, Belinda, this isn't true.  There are many buyers who don't read descriptions properly and leave bad feedback prematurely ... without even giving the seller a chance to make things better.   It's true, I do block buyers.  I wish ebay would bring in something that let me block all buyers based on the percentage of neutrals/negatives/ and poor star ratings they give out ... seems only fair.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

yes but at the same time many sellers who give the wrong description eg working when not working but if a seller knows they are doing the right thing then they have nothing to worry about and for those few who leave feedback that is not deserved most buyers can see through it I have bought from a seller with a less than 80% feed back rating I checked the feedback found it was because of one buyer read there feedback left history and could see it was unfair.

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply