No fee credit on partial refunds

Today I refunded an buyer for one damaged item in a set. It was a partial refund. eBay refuse to give me a credit as they say they only issue credit fee on full refunds for people on Managed Payments. I was happy using PayPal, but it was eBay who forced the change to MP. The only option therefore is to request the return of the items as eBay prefer to credit fees on a full sale price, than to credit fees on a partial refund. 

Anyone else had this experience? What are the other options?

Also only just found out the selling fees are now 13.4% not 10.9% any longer.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Twice now I have partially refunded buyers for overpayment on postage.  On both occasions I have received an adjustment on fees.  I also have it confirmed in writing by eBay's chat CS reps, that partial refunds are eligible for a FVF adjustment.

I know others will insist that is not the case any longer, but get onto chat and you should find you are able to get your FVF adjustment.  (BTW I'm on Managed Payments).

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

yup.  it sux.  I guess EBay's view is that it costs them money to process payments.  If you refund it they've still incurred that cost.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

Its not Ebays fault that the item was broken, they still provided the same service to you as a seller

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

The selling fees subsume Paypal's, so you're paying roughly the same.

Paypal stopped refunding fees for partial refunds (except for a few special people) a couple of years ago.

Is the loss of fee credits more than the return postage (by tracked means), which you will be liable for? If so, it seems to be an imprudent way of getting your fees back.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Hi

I was not complaining about the fee increase, just making an observation. You seem very quick to defend them though which is interesting.

I have issued a partial refund once before and Paypal credited me straight away. Nothing special about me at all so you are not correct about that. They had a very good system.

I really just wanted to know my options and what others did in this event of issuing a partial refund.

Is it better to ask for the return of all items? At least that way sell them again, perhaps on another platform? 

Is it better to refund the buyer, no matter what the percentage of the sale and receive no credit?

I just want to know what others do in this situation. 

eBay only stopped crediting for Managed Payments. Is this even legal?

You know it's not all about money, there are principles as well.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

No I did say it was eBays fault one item in the set was broken.

I wanted to know what options there were, any solutions people may have etc. 

Something helpful or informative. 

I thought this was a help board.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

When did you make your partial refund through Paypal? As I said, they stopped refunding fees a couple of years ago.

What I would do is refund. No point in getting the items returned and paying return postage unless the item is high value. And you will still have an incomplete set.

Btw there is a difference between defending eBay and pointing out facts that you didn't seem to take into account when making your comparison.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Yes I admit you didnt blame Ebay for one item being broken, but you do expect them to partially refund their fee's for a problem which is not their fault,  it was possibly badly packed by the original sender,  maybe ask the sender to compensate you for the broken item.  Oh thats right you packed it!!!!!

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

When I queried eBay they said that this no credit for partial items was new and only applied to people on Managed Payments. So it seems that there are two sets of rules  one for those on MP and those not.  From what you are saying though, they never refund partial fee credits. 

Maybe the rep gave me incorrect information. I checked my transcript and that is exactly what was said.

Either way, I just wanted some information. Not be attacked.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

I have just reread my answers, and no where have I said they have never done partial refunds as you say above.   All I have said is I don't believe they should have to partially refund fee's for a problem which was not their fault.  Also not sure where I have ''attacked'' you, or is it because I didnt give the answer you wanted.

And just to clarify I am not a Ebay plant, which appears to be the common answer if people don't get the answer they want.

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply