No free listings for a while now….

Hi,

Is Ebay not giving us 150 free listings (its been about a month, and usually we get one for halloween)

because we have been complaining and venting our frustration everywhere about ebay's new and

past regulations?

Message 1 of 53
Latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: No free listings for a while now….

Just wondering about etsy, can you just sell in Oz , as I did hear you don't need paypal, just take bank deposit.

I am only selling until sold out, no more buying, only for myself. But with no extra free listings, going to take me a long time.

Reading the US Ebay, not many happy campers over there, with the free relist 3 times, now 2 ,now come off your montly 40 free.

And they have the buyers can change their mind and cancel within the hour.

The sellers over their are of the opinion like us, that Ebay wants us small sellers to get a store. Tried that over the years, makes no difference to sales.  so not holding my breath for any extra listings.

Yes I know they are a bonus, but they shouldn't tease us like before every fortnight, now nothing for over 5 weeks.

Message 11 of 53
Latest reply

I have been in the process of setting up an Etsy shop. Yes, you can sell in Australia only. It's just like ebay, you can say if you want to ship overseas or not. And they do have paypal, but it's not covered under buyer seller protection (as ebay own paypal, it's all intertwined) they offer direct checkout instead, they process the credit cards and the money goes straight into your bank account, they charge 3% fee for that, but even still it's much cheaper than ebay. Also the listing lasts for 4 mths for only .20 per listing. 

I have been investigating this for a while and many people run both ebay and etsy, and some say etsy is so much easier to manage, nicer site, and they look after their buyers so much better. They have a feedback system, but it's just a 5 star rating, none of this 

percentage business. I am just waiting to fine tune some of the details,  and I have heard Etsy is building momentum, some sellers say they have sold more. So I suppose it just depends what type of products you sell. 

Message 12 of 53
Latest reply

Sorry typo, mean to say they look after their 'sellers' so much better........

Message 13 of 53
Latest reply

@mitbri wrote:

I have heard Etsy is building momentum, 

Not according to this..... http://www.trafficestimate.com/etsy.com

While their visitor rate is still high in the big scheme of things, they took a plummet and have stayed there.

Message 14 of 53
Latest reply

I sell second hand designer clothing, do you think I can sell on etsy 

designer clothing majority of the time? I tried to list one today but

it seemed they were not letting me post one as its handmade or 

vintage (the dress is circa 2012).

Message 15 of 53
Latest reply

etsy is for handmade, vintage (classed as 20 years or more old) or craft supplies only. 

Craft supplies tends to have the biggest turnover, it is a viable alternative to eBay, but unlikely to generate the same kind of traffic or sales volume (I do ok - by my own standards - there, but I sell internationally, list a fraction of my stock, and about 90% of my sales are to US buyers; I don't sell internationally via eBay).

Their direct checkout has buyer / seller protection available, so does PayPal - PayPal is independent of eBay and the protection they offer to buyers / sellers is the same on every site, except Gumtree, which doesn't have buyer protection (or rather, it won't from the 18th of November).

Message 16 of 53
Latest reply

I have seen some sellers sell clothing from forever21 which is like our version of cotton on…I could also go vintage shopping and add that
to the mix as well...
Message 17 of 53
Latest reply

@luxuryrethreads wrote:
I have seen some sellers sell clothing from forever21 which is like our version of cotton on…
to the mix as well...

If a clothing item is less than 20 years old, they would only be allowed if the have been altered in some way, then classing them as handmade (commonly referred to there as 'upcyling').

Some sellers do list things they shouldn't, but etsy has a '3 strikes and you're out' policy which they do actually adhere to, so if a seller lists items that are against policy, there won't be too many chances left before their shop (and any associated IDs) are shut down for good. 

Message 18 of 53
Latest reply

Would etsy be technical, for example a Chanel bag is only 5 years old? but you list it as 

vintage?

Message 19 of 53
Latest reply

and btw, do you have a shop on etsy?

Message 20 of 53
Latest reply