No more FOS, hello AFCA (since 1st November ‘18)

the FOS is no more. 

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) opened on November 1 and has average 310 complaints per business day so far.

The Federal Government first announced the new dispute resolution body in September last year, as it attempted to head off a royal commission into the banks and financial services sector.

AFCA has replaced three separate bodies — Financial Ombudsman Service, the Credit and Investments Ombudsman and the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-05/new-financial-complaints-authority-more-than-6500-complaints/...

Members should note this when advising buyers or sellers who are having problems with eBay and/or PayPal.

If a google search is made for “Financial Ombudsman” you will still get the “fos.org.au” website as a result, but that web address is now showing a link to the new AFCA website.

So, even if we advise buyers or sellers to contact the FOS they will most likely find AFCA, but in the interests of providing up to date information we should use AFCA instead of FOS

Spoiler
another reason for old threads to be locked as those that include advice regarding FOS are now out of date

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"another reason for old threads to be locked as those that include advice regarding FOS are now out of date"

Yes indeed slr, but I strongly suspect it will fall on deaf ears again.   original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

"another reason for old threads to be locked as those that include advice regarding FOS are now out of date"

Yes indeed slr, but I strongly suspect it will fall on deaf ears again.   original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Went to use it the other day that's FOS and got directed to the new AFCA hopefully they can help lol still waiting on an outcome.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

In view of the fact that they have rolled 3 appeal services into one I suspect wait times may blow out unless they have more staff to take up the slack.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply