No name, just initials supplied by buyer

The postage details supplied by a recent buyer do not give a name - just the initials R.J. When I checked her Paypal payment, the name attached to the payment didn't match the initials, but the address was the same. Should I be concerned?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Quite often my buyers name does not match the PayPal account. To be covered for seller protection you need to send it to the PayPal name and address only.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

If you are concerned contact buyer and ask them to confirm details or just send item in PayPal's registered name

It has happened to me in the past and the account holder confirmed it was OK and for their partner.

It can happen when family members all share the one account.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I perhaps didn't make it clear that the name on the account was not the name supplied in the part that stays "OK to ship to", which again, just used the initials. I'm not sure what AP's take is on just having initials in the address. I think I will email the buyer and ask for at least the surname.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

The name doesn't matter form APs viewpoint, as long as the address is valid it will get to its destination.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@egglesdtp wrote:

I perhaps didn't make it clear that the name on the account was not the name supplied in the part that stays "OK to ship to", which again, just used the initials. I'm not sure what AP's take is on just having initials in the address. I think I will email the buyer and ask for at least the surname.

AP don't worry about it.

I've had a few like this and AP will just happily pop it in the appropriate letter box.

eBay/PayPal allow a buyer to change the name and address at checkout in order to be able to send gifts.

Even though the details don't match the account there should still be a record of the changes made.

If anything goes sour like receiving an INR and PayPal try to get narky just threaten them with a complaint to the ombudsman.

If they allow for a change of details they need to stand by their own methodology.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I use the ebay labels so the name and address are imported just as they appear after the buyer has gone through checkout so that is how the parcel is addressed regardless of how the name is portrayed.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I like to add the buyers phone number to my parcels so the courier can contact them direct and ask for instructions. So when they give rubbish 12345678 or 07 77777777 I just add to the parcel and they have to collect if not home

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I don't use couriers and I don't have the buyer's phone number and I'm not ging to chase it. In the end I just posted it with the initials.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I've posted just with initials, a first or surname, one was even just a single initial, J. I've never had any problems. I figured it was just the buyers way of maintaining a little privacy. Both their eBay and PayPal were the same. I only ever put my first name on the return address label when I send something.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply