No notification when buyer requests total

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem recently.

Several buyers have purchased using the cart, then clicked the request total button.

Sales show up in eBay, but no sold messages (as has been the case since MP started) - annoying but not a major problem as we used to get a message saying the buyer requested a total, so knew something had sold and to send an invoice.

The big problem is that, for the last week or so, the request for a combined invoice doesn't show up anywhere.

We don't receive a message, it's doesn't show on Seller Hub, All Selling, My eBay Sold, or at the top of the sold listing.

We know the items have sold as they show up on the bell, and in the sold section, but have no idea if the buyer is waiting for an invoice.

So, for every unpaid multiple purchase we have to send the buyer a message, wait for their reply, then send the invoice (or not if they're waiting for a couple of auctions before requiring an invoice).

Planning to get on live chat sometime this morning, but wondering if anyone else was having the same problem, or had any insights or solutions.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: No notification when buyer requests total

It's been happaning on and off for years.

I have always needed to send the seller a message stating as soon as they send an invoice with total and I can pay.

I usually get an invoice within an hour or two after that.

I would suggest just making it a habit of sending an invoice for all multiple purchases.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

It's been happaning on and off for years.

I have always needed to send the seller a message stating as soon as they send an invoice with total and I can pay.

I usually get an invoice within an hour or two after that.

I would suggest just making it a habit of sending an invoice for all multiple purchases.

Thanks for your reply - interesting to hear it's been happening for a while as we haven't had the problem before.

We thought of that, but some of our buyers like to browse for a day or two before requesting an invoice, and others are waiting for auctions on which they plan to place a bid.

Sometimes, sending an invoice prematurely can annoy these buyers (even with an explanatory message) and they just pay for what they've already purchased and don't bother to buy any more.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

As expected, live chat was immensely helpful ...... not  Woman Frustrated

Their answers went around in circles, and didn't really address the problem, so we gave up.

Hopefully the problem will disappear as quickly as it appeared, if not we'll just have to learn to live with it.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I have noticed that if the buyer is using a mobile phone,  they can't ask for a total. They have to use a desktop computer.  I hope that helps. 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@sunshine27carla wrote:

I have noticed that if the buyer is using a mobile phone,  they can't ask for a total. They have to use a desktop computer.  I hope that helps. 

Yes, that's true, but not the problem we're experiencing.

Buyers using the cart are clicking "request total" which usually confirms their purchase and lets us know they would like an invoice.

Currently their purchase is being confirmed, but nowhere we can find shows that they have requested an invoice.

All we know is that there have been items purchased that are awaiting payment.

Appreciate your reply, thank you.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

there is also a problem in that the eBay app for mobile devices does not always show the 'reguest total' link so buyers cannot request total for combined items

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

As kop said, it has been happening on and off for years. (I am only a buyer, but I have seen this problem mentioned on and off.)

Usually, if I don't receive a total, I send the seller a normal message, mentioning that I have heard that occasionally sellers don't receive a request if sent from the cart, but buyers who don't read here might be perplexed...

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply