No payment received - event tomorrow night

Hello - hoping for some advice please...

We listed event tickets a few days ago - 'buy it now' with the option to make an offer. We also required that immediate payment had to be made via PayPal upon purchase.

Somebody made an offer, which I accepted, so the tIckes are now listed as sold. I accepted the offer as soon as it was made (around 40 hours ago)

I haven't heard from the buyer since (have sent two payment reminders) and they haven't made payment...it seems like them making an offer cancelled the requirement that payment be made immediately.

the event is tomorrow  and I'm not sure whether it is reasonable for me to relist the tickets...are there any thoughts or protocols around this sort of thing?

cheers 🙂

Suz

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Someone is messing with you.

You should have set the listing to Buy it Now at the price you wanted with "Immediate Payment" ticked.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

unfortunately suz, you're in a bit of a tight bind with this one.

i've had quite a bit of experience selling event tickets and always use the "immediate payment" option for all of my listings. from experience, if you do happen to accept a best offer, then you're allowing the person to bypass that requirement, as it becomes "sold" as soon as you accept, but as you're now aware, the buyer isn't necessarily able to pay for the item at that same moment. the best option in these circumstances when it is close to the event date, is to change the price of the item listing to the price you've been offered (considering you're willing to accept it anyway) and then the person will have to buy and pay for it immediately. 

the options aren't that great now for you. you can either re-sell the tickets, and then cop negative feedback from the buyer for not being able to supply the item to them should they pay before the event. 

you could also cancel the purchase as not having the item in stock, but then there's a bit of an ethical issue in that you do still have the item and are going to resell it. this would give you a defect. 

if you make contact with the buyer before the event and they say they don't want to buy anymore or aren't intending on paying, you could try and talk them into allowing you to cancel the listing with the reason being that the buyer no longer wants the item - though, this must be confirmed by the buyer. 

other than those, the only other options really are to sit and wait until the event time and see if the buyer pays, and possibly lose the use and monetary value of the tickets, or do that, but then use the tickets for yourself (if you're in the same city / state). 

if anyone else has any suggestions that i've missed for possible options the OP can take, then please chip in 🙂

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply 🤗

I've only sold a few lots of tickets and have always put a "best offer" option and not had an issue...it just never occurred to me that it would then allow people to bypass the immediate payment requirement.

I might have to put this one down to experience...annoying but not the end of the world!

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

the pitfalls of ticket scalping

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Yes, this must be my punishment for selling tickets to something for less than they cost me.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Go to advanced search then find contact info and follow the prompts.

You will be emailed their phone number and they get yours.

Give them a call and ask if they are going to pay immediately otherwise you need to sell them.

Then quickly list at a great price.

image host
Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

@12suzanne12 wrote:

Yes, this must be my punishment for selling tickets to something for less than they cost me.

Righto, so you've learnt that accepting an offer negates the immediate payment requirement but that is no help at the moment.

I think you've been messed around and unfortunately I don't think you're going to be able to do much.

You could list them on gumtree & facebook. preferably FB.  Go on Facebook, look for a local buy/swap/sell but make sure it is one with thousands of members. List the ticket fairly cheaply for immediate pick up. Do it immediately-this morning. Spell it out that the tickets must be paid for & picked up, no holds. If people say sold, message them your phone number. If someone says NIL (next in line) message them your phone number too & first in, first served.Be prepared to watch your facebook carefully, respond immediately.

This way you may get something for the tickets, rather than nothing.

If you sell on FB & the ebay buyer contacts you later this afternoon or messages you, don't reply, don't even open the message. If they pay via paypal you can then contact them tonight & offer to post the tickets with tracking or do they wish to cancel the sale.

If they try to make trouble, just ring ebay & explain you're not on a computer 24/7 and they had days to contact you but didn't.

PS You could do as kopes suggested too but my worry for you is that you really need to sell to someone very local now as no one else will have time to pick up.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks for the advice all! The buyer messaged me back about an hour ago advising that he "already bought tickets" 😒

I've relisted them (without the "best offer" option 😂) at least I've managed to learn something!
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Springy, tickets are often emailed these days. They have a barcode.

Good luck Suzanne, you might need to shout someone lunch and have them go to the ground to sell them.

Edit - Saw 2 listings, looks one sold. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 10 of 18
Latest reply