Non-Payer: Opinions, Please.

Had a buyer (who has bought from me before, and paid promptly) place a large order with me on the 21st of November (almost two weeks ago).

Waited a week for her to pay, because as I said, she'd bought from me before and paid, and because it was a large order.

Re-sent the invoice twice.

On Monday, (30th) I sent a message requesting that she contact me about the order, or else I'd have to open unpaid item disputes in order to get my fees back/re-list the items.

On Tuesday, I got a message along the lines of:

"Hello, this is actually my daughter's order. I have contacted her but she is not answering her phone. I'm so sorry about this, but I'll let you know as soon as I hear from her."

I replied with, "Okay, I'll wait for your response."

It's now Friday. No response.

I don't want to slap the mother's account with unpaid item disputes if it's her daughter's order (even though that isn't my responsibility), but I can't wait forever.

What would you do in this situation? Am I being too nice here? Should I just file UIDs?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

You have already been very flexible and kind. Stay professional.

I would open unpaids, it doesn't effect their account until they are closed but it may spur her into action.

Otherwise a good chance it will drag on and as you say account holder needs to take some responsibility.

You can't be expected to wear any stress for the shortcomings of others.

image host
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

The account owner was obviously in contact with her daughter when she took the order and agreed to buy through mum's account, so she should have arranged the payment at the same time.

Passing strange that a child would not answer calls from their mother for 2 weeks.

I'd be opening NPBs. Might lend a sense of urgency and spur a bit of action

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

I don't know about everyone else but I usually answer my parents phone calls (not that I like it/ or not), and even more so if there is an order. At least no one is in hospital dieing of cancer.

I usually send a couple of reminders over about 3 weeks (I have the auto email payment reminders turned off in settings), then I open unpaid item disputes and never get paid.......

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

"Hello, this is actually my daughter's order. I have contacted her but she is not answering her phone. I'm so sorry about this, but I'll let you know as soon as I hear from her."  What BS!  Go straight to UID.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

yeah that.gif 

If I'd bought something on my mothers eBay account and she got a message from the seller like that, she'd pay for it. Then I'd get a message from her "oi, you owe me $X". There is no way she'd fob the seller off like that.

I'd open the UPI. It's her account that's at risk, so she might pull her finger out and make more of an effort to get in touch with her AWOL daughter. She may as well have said that the goldfish bought it, or the lady 2 doors ups son in laws sisters husbands mothers sisters husbands brothers work colleagues next door neighbour bought it. At least that would be more believable LOL!!

I suppose one thing in her favour, there was no mention of someone with a disability or anyone dying of cancer.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

If you believe that excuse buddy you really shouldnt be selling on eBay.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

I believe it may well be her daughter's order but what I don't believe is there is no way she can get in touch with her daughter, even by text message.

What she means is her daughter hasn't been around or reimbursed her as yet.

Probably she assumes you will wait indefinitely now she has been in touch with you.

But that is an unfair expectation. I would probably send a note to say payment will need to be made by eg Sunday, otherwise you will need to open an unpaid item dispute simply as a process to be reimbursed your fees.

Mum may have been good and paid once before, but the daughter is suss, she put in a big order then totally ignored it, never looked again, never contacted her mother to arrange payment. You have no way of knowing if she ever will pay.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@character_parties_aus wrote:

If you believe that excuse buddy you really shouldnt be selling on eBay.

Who, me? I don't fall for anyone's watery excuses. I hear every excuse under the sun for different things in my job, no way I'm going to fall for anyone's pathetic sympathy grabbing excuses on here.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

tippy, pretty sure CPA was talking to OP.

image host
Message 10 of 19
Latest reply