Non paying bidders!!

I know this is a post that has been done before,but what can we,as a large community,do to make Ebay penalise non paying bidders?.This is becoming a big problem,as the non payers know that nothing will happen to them.You can't even leave negative feedback,not that this would do any good,as they will leave you negative feedback as a payback.Ebay goes on about looking after its members,well i think Ebay should put a plan in place to stamp out non payers.If they don't,what can we do to change their minds?.

Message 1 of 64
Latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Non paying bidders!!

Yes. And have done so since 2001. Thats what happen when you buy online. You dont know the seller- a person or a business.

A seller with poor/low feedback in Eastern Europe is not the same as a seller with 1,000s + feedbacks.

My regulars always pay by bank transfer.

And yes I pay $500AU in Paypal fees each month.

Message 21 of 64
Latest reply

Non paying bidders!!

What happens if the person wishes to pay you via bank deposit,doesn't have internet banking and has to physically go to the bank to make a deposit?.They can't pay immediately and yes,a lot of buyers still pay this way,as paypal is a ripoff for the seller.That is what the sellers feedback is all about,it basically tells the prospective buyer that this seller has in Ebay's words [a proven track record] of trust,reliability, etc.No matter what blocks YOU have in place,it will only stop a non payer from buying from you.It does not stop other people from being caught out by these pests.Not everybody has a good grasp on how to use the tools etc provided by Ebay.What i have stated is that Ebay should take some responsibility and punish the non payers.

Message 22 of 64
Latest reply

Non paying bidders!!

Wouldn't it be good if the ebay selling system worked like this.  if a person bids or buys an item and hasn't paid within 3 or 4 days, the item is automatically cancelled and relisted, or sold to the 2nd highest bidder. All without the seller having to do anything or incur a defect or relisting fee. The non payer is banned for a week or even a month unless they can prove it was unavoidable for not paying - a hospital stay or something like that.

It would keep buyers paying on time, and the serial non-payers would find themselves out in the cold.

Message 23 of 64
Latest reply

Non paying bidders!!

I can't understand how sellers say that PayPal is a rip off for them.

PayPal charge 2.9% + 30c of the sale.

Ebay are the rip off as they charge 10% on sales and 10% on postage.

Thers is a 7% difference in fees.

And a buyer that's dealing with a seller for the first time is in no way going to pay them with bank deposit and it wouldn't matter if the seller is well known with excellent feedback.

A buyer needs to establish a good record with a seller and then perhaps down the track might then start paying by bank deposit.

Message 24 of 64
Latest reply

Non paying bidders!!

And a buyer that's dealing with a seller for the first time is in no way going to pay them with bank deposit and it wouldn't matter if the seller is well known with excellent feedback.
A buyer needs to establish a good record with a seller and then perhaps down the track might then start paying by bank deposit.

I think that is just your opinion, as many buyers DO pay by bank deposit when dealing with a seller for the first time.
Message 25 of 64
Latest reply

Non paying bidders!!

What would be even better, and this has been bandied about on the forums also, is that the item is not deemed sold until it has been paid for.  ie the buyer can put it in their cart but it is still available for sale to any other buyer UNTIL it is paid for.  Dream on.

Message 26 of 64
Latest reply

Non paying bidders!!

That is possible now,  IF

• you list as BN only
  • you set your payment rewuirements to Immediate Payment Required
  • you are prepared to see a significant drop in sales as many buyers will not purchase when these conditions are set.
Cheers,

Penny
Message 27 of 64
Latest reply

Non paying bidders!!

To add to the frustration of a NPB the item is held up for four days and misses out on what was left of the 3 free relists and sits there waiting for the monthly freebies or the promotions.

Before I get wrapped over the knuckles by the " Promo's and free monthly listings are a gift gang"

I'm ever so grateful for those gifts, I would be happy to pay a fee for a relist if sales are flying out the door but sadly they are not

Perhaps the NPB could be fined a fee to cover the cost of relisting that item.

money.jpg

Message 28 of 64
Latest reply

Non paying bidders!!

Well maybe THOSE buyers are the ones who don't want to pay anyway, so no loss there.

Message 29 of 64
Latest reply

Non paying bidders!!

casbit said. Wouldn't it be good if the ebay selling system worked like this.  if a person bids or buys an item and hasn't paid within 3 or 4 days, the item is automatically cancelled and relisted, or sold to the 2nd highest bidder. All without the seller having to do anything or incur a defect or relisting fee. The non payer is banned for a week or even a month unless they can prove it was unavoidable for not paying - a hospital stay or something like that.

It would keep buyers paying on time, and the serial non-payers would find themselves out in the cold.

---------------------

Wouldn't it be good if the ebay selling system worked like this.  if a person bids or buys an item and hasn't paid within 3 or 4 days, the item is automatically cancelled.....

This could work as an opt in system, but sellers would have to be careful with sales from bank deposit customers.

For a lot of sellers though it would be a boon if ebay automatically cancelled a sale and refunded fees after 4 days.

I can't see it happening though. Call me cynical, but I think ebay makes a pile of money from sellers who probably never get around to claiming fees back when sales fall through. They won't want to change that.

and relisted....

No,  I don't think that would be helpful. Not all sellers might be available 4 days later, it might not suit them & then they would have to go in and cancel listings.

.....or sold to the 2nd highest bidder

No, no no!!! Absolutely not!! No! (have I said thatWoman Very Happy)

That is totally unreasonable. What you would be doing is taking the present frustrations of sellers and the delays they have when a bad bidder refuses to pay, and popping them instead on the heads of innocent buyers.

Look at it from my point of view as a buyer. I might bid on something I want. I might not be desperate for it but I might be sort of hoping to have it within a week or so.  So.. maybe I watch an auction, put in a bid on the final day or few hours but I am outbid and lose the auction.

In my opinion, that should be the end of the matter.

As a customer, I should be free to move right onto another auction for a similar product that perhaps is ending soon.

Why should there be any expectation that I will have to wait 4 days to find out if the winning bidder pays or not? That's not my concern & it shouldn't be.

By all means, offer other bidders a second chance offer. No worries there. I have sometimes bought things that way.

But don't mandate it that I have to.

The main problem is you would send buyers away in droves, a lot of customers have trouble understanding a bid is binding, how much worse would it be if you tried to explain a bid lasted for 4 days after someone else won?

No, keep it simple.

---. The non payer is banned for a week or even a month 

Yes, I would like to see that. Auto ban for a month for non paying bidders. Can't see it happening though.

My feeling is more and more sellers will go down the path of buy it now/instant payment required. Like other websites.

Message 30 of 64
Latest reply