Norfolk Island

Has anyone posted items to Norfolk Island?

I cannot process postage via Ebay, so wondering if you are allowed to use a standard trackable 3kg satchel to post items in.

Thank you in advance, these forums are always full of great advice.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Norfolk Island

The Aust Post calculator says you can use 3kg satchels to Norfolk Island

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

It is sometimes cheaper to post items to Norfolk Island as a boxed parcel. They have no tax on such. You can post in a satchel; but often the hand boxed parcel is a cheaper option & hand it in & pay & the PO - depending on weight. Securely pack fragile items!

I've posted heavy glassware & etc to Norfolk Island & was told by my customer it may fly in a small plane; or go by small ship to get there. Evidently it depends on which is going first; the plane or the boat. If you have an AP postage costs book (or a good person @ the counter @ your local PO) they will hopefully advise the cheapest way to ship your sale! The post book details cheaper shipping to Norfolk Island & used to say about those in Arafura Strait & Tiwi Islands, Melville Island & etc. 

(Something about remote area post & Aboriginal communities springs to my mind on how the postage to remote islands off Australia works) I've a friend living on Melville Is; Off Darwin; So must ask again next time we talk online!

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks for the quick replies! I am lucky to have a great post office so will wrap it up and get them to compare the two options in terms of price.

Thanks again 🙂

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I've posted to Norfolk and standard AP rates apply (if you are using the flat rate products).

Delivery is very very slow though.

My customer told me that the letter post goes by air weekly and if the plane is overloaded some items get bumped to the following flight.

Parcels travel by sea on a monthly supply ship and the same applies (if you miss the boat expect 2 months transit times).

I would highly recommend using tracked postage to avoid any delivery time defects though all the locals over there are aware of the situation and don't expect a speedy service.

Communicating with your customer is probably the best thing you can do.

Good luck with it.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Although I work, and play, on the mainland my home is on Norfolk Island and I have, at times, received satchels, small letters etc in our family mail box. I understand that AP treats NI as an extension of NSW and postage rates are calculted as if the item was being posted to a NSW post code.  Well that's how it was before the service went crazy. I don't think it's any different today except for the costs increasing. Delivery is almost always by air, if you are posting from NSW the mail bag sometimes diverts to Brisbane. I am almost sure that it's not possible for an express delivery, that's a doubtfull delivery option on the mainland so there's little chance of that happening at home. Pack your item/s with a lot of bubblewrap and a lot of care, the handlers, at both ends of the journey, can sometimes be a little careless. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply