Not allowed to leave feedback for a serial non-payer

It's just not fair when eBay does not allow me to leave feedback for a non-payer - of two of his purchases one is a Green with a 'non-payer' note but he's still rated at 100 positive.

I had a second bidder but by the time I waited for the 'unpaid item' dispute to run it's course I've lost that  bidder too!

Can anyone explain to me why eBay is allowing this ridiculous anomaly - protecting these serial non-payers, still rated at 100% positive, while they cause problems and expense to honest sellers?

"Sorry, it's not possible to leave feedback for this transaction.
Feedback has been disabled because payment was not recorded."

I've been paying insertion fees on that rather unusual style/sized item on for a year and now I'm still stuck with it!

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Not allowed to leave feedback for a serial non-payer

It's just down right deceptive and gives a false impression of the buyer and most likely can lull a seller into a false sense of security.

?????

How on earth does a non payer 'lull a seller into a false sense of security' ?

Security for what ? It's not like a seller would be dumb enough to post without payment & ebay doesn't offer a loan facility.

That's hysterical.:^O:^O:^O:^O

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

foxette-in-sox (Private) - Well, with a reply like that no wonder eBay gets away with doing precious little to respond to serious issues. You even answered part of your own indignant reply... the rest I'll let you ponder for longer than the few seconds you took in your sniping.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

People with a hidden private feedback rating of 100% make it look like they are perfect on the surface in almost every way. Given you can't read their feedback comments, it is another reason to convince eBay the honesty of providing a more true indicator of a member's transactions. A negative rating must be given when a strike is applied, only then will we have an instant view of a member's true overall conduct.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

its been this way for years

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

People with a hidden private feedback rating of 100% make it look like they are perfect on the surface in almost every way. Given you can't read their feedback comments, it is another reason to convince eBay the honesty of providing a more true indicator of a member's transactions. A negative rating must be given when a strike is applied, only then will we have an instant view of a member's true overall conduct.

EVERY buyer on ebay whether they have (private) or (123) feedback has 100% positive

if you   click on the word (private), you will see the number of transactions they have received positive fb for in the last 12months ... a good indicator as to how often they use ebay.

as fb is voluntary and many buyers and many sellers never leave it, it is always just an approximate indication of the transactions conducted on ebay.

the majority of good Sellers have their blocks in place to stop buyers with more than 1 non payer strike from ever bidding on their items, check of your block bidder activity log will show how many serial non payers have attempted to buy from you, if you have such blocks in place.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

putney32 - You've mentioned one option out of very very few available to sellers. I also think one other option is to only sell to buyers who have no strikes or a certain feedback level but that is actually dysfunctional policy when the feedback is skewed entirely in the buyer's favour. Unfortunately, placing the buyer on your block list does not resolve the systemic failure that OP mentions and that I support. Doing something on an individual level, by savvy people who know about the strategy, will not ensure 'collective accountability' on eBay's part. eBay must do something about this from a systemic level which offers an umbrella approach.

The first thing eBay can do to make feedback more valid is to put in place an automatic negative for buyers who get a non pay strike. It really is a no-brainer. But the longer eBay fail in their duty of care by allowing people responsible for bad transactions to show a perfect feedback rating, the longer sellers like myself will feel misled and deceived. Over the last month alone I have suffered 2 failed sales from non-paying buyers with perfect feedback. If their feedback showed a history of this behaviour, I would have handled it differently and I would have spared myself a lot of time and stress. I already block sales to anyone with a non-payment strike, so that strategy did not save me from the so called perfect buyers!

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

I totally agree it is an UNFAIR system when sellers are unable to leave neg. feedback for buyers who often leave the most damaging UNFAIR and UNWARRANTED feedback.

Buyers can threaten, blackmail etc etc then leave neg. feedback. No negative feedback can then be left for the buyer. The whole ebay / paypal system is weighted in favour of the buyer.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

one is a Green with a 'non-payer' note

Which has, incidentally, given him another star.

You can block a buyer if they have -1 star or worse. You can also block someone if they've bought at least 1 item in the last 10 days and have 5 stars or less. Apart from that, the stars don't seem to matter much in terms of automatic blocking. As kopenhagen5 said, the blocks for receiving a strike through UPI are generally pretty good. Most buyers do seem to pay but of course the larger the store the more odds are of more non-payers.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

I totally agree it is an UNFAIR system when sellers are unable to leave neg. feedback for buyers who often leave the most damaging UNFAIR and UNWARRANTED feedback.

Buyers can threaten, blackmail etc etc then leave neg. feedback. No negative feedback can then be left for the buyer. The whole ebay / paypal system is weighted in favour of the buyer.

So you follow up your negs with professional responses then turn around & yell abuse in capital letters at them in your postive feedback left for them ???:O:O

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

You can also block someone if they've bought at least 1 item in the last 10 days and have 5 stars or less.

Not quite, you can limit people how many items they can buy from you within 10days, OR you can block people who have less than 5 FB and do not have their accounts verified. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 20 of 20
Latest reply