O/S and local address - weird

Had a buyer purchase recently and was just wondering where Ebay is picking up their mailing details from.

On the confirmation email I got from Ebay, it lists a US address.

On Paypal, it has an AUS address, so of course that is where I send the item.

However, when I go into the sales transaction, it also lists the AUS address.

Wonder where it picked up the US address from then?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: O/S and local address - weird

The 'confirmation' email is a confirmation of the sale and happens as soon as the buyer commits to buy or wins an auction.

The address you use is the one they confirm on checkout - which is the one Paypal give you or the one in the 'I will be paying by bank deposit' notice. Which are both post-checkout.

The registered address is the address registered with eBay. Not necessarily the one they want the goods sent to. They could be sending to a friend/relative/acquaintence for all we know.

Which is why the 'confirmation' email is useful for nothing but letting you know the item has sold.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@cushioncovers wrote:

Digi - the Ebay confirmation gives the buyers postal address - it says so on the email.

Except that the email notification comes through on confirmation of purchase, which always happens before the buyer checks out and selects their postage address.

The heading says "buyers postage address" or somesuch, that doesn't mean it is...

@amber, I probably didn't explain the differentiation clearly enough, but entering a new registered address can only be done by overwriting the old one, you can't add new ones, make one primary etc, that can only be done with postage addreses.

A registered address is not the same as a postage address, they have to be edited separately, and it has been my understanding that the item sold email has always provided what is entered as the registered address, hence the advice never to use it as the postage address, only the one that's provided on the payment notification. 

account addresses.JPG

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Ahhh I see.

You mean on the sold email, well...hmmmm. Of course I don't see that one.

As the buyer I receive a confirmation that says item will be shipped to...that is the postal address. However that first instance, it wasn't, it was the former postal address (and the registered address). It shipped to that one. The next purchase the buyer confirmation was the new postal address (as expected, not the old one and continued registered one). Without my changing anything further.

From the deliveries I imagined that's what the sellers saw, too. But seems not. It's all good now.

I can understand the problem if there are two countries involved!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

I had a bit of a weird one this week - I purchased an item from a seller in the US who advised me that he was seeing a Kentucky US address as my postal address - even though my Ebay and Paypal accounts are both in Australia.

He was using the GSP (Global Shipping Program) for posting items overseas - that seems to mean that the postal address comes up as Kentucky, which I now understand is where the items have to be sent before heading overseas. 

Also the single payment I made for the item including international post appears to have been split into two payments in my Paypal account - the cost of the item and the cost of the shipping (which was going to the courier). 

It took me a bit to unpick what was happening, especially as the seller was insisting I hadn't paid for shipping when I had.

But after some to and fro, and sending him some screen shots of the Paypal transactions, he says it's all good now - so I have the nervous wait to see if it turns up.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

It seems that your seller has no idea how the GSP works.

He sends the parcel to Erlanger KY by USPS (usually free post) and Pitney Bowes sends it on to Australia via FedEx.  Pitney Bowes pays the shipping direct to FedEx....the seller has nothing to do with that payment.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

The good news is it will be trackable all the way. Sometimes they can stop for a while, or crisscross the U.S., but you can watch it online. The first tracking number is through the U.S., then you should see another when it leaves in the hands of Fedex. This one is trackable on the Fedex website. The delivery date that shows then has been spot on for my items.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 16 of 16
Latest reply