One to watch out for on pick up items.

Scenario - Seller has item listed in an auction and is messaged by potential buyer(X) wanting to look at it.

Seller gives address and buyer goes to look at it.

The auction has a few bidders but in particular one bidder(Y) seems to really want the item.

Buyer X decides bidding is too hot and doesn't bid.

No more bids come in and bidder (Y) naturally wins it at a good price with no further bids coming in.

Now this is where it gets interesting. Buyer (X) goes to the address saying "hope you don't mind I'm so early in picking up the item", pays the seller the $250 and takes the item.

Buyer (Y), winning bidder contacts seller to arrange a time to pick up. Seller first ignores message thinking message must have been before pick up turned up. Another message comes through and seller messages back, "but you have already picked up item?"

Took a while for the seller to realize what had happened.

If some have your address already, always make sure the buyer picking up knows the winning ID name in full. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

happened to you?  lucky buyer X caught you at home.... what has happened to buyer Xs ebay account? 

that is scarey!

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

No someone else. Happened a little while ago and I was just reminded of it.

Seller had to just explain and apologize.

Don't know if buyer (Y) believed the story.

image host
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Interesting the way some people's minds work, isn't it ๐Ÿ˜ž

Happy Christmas Kopes to you and yours

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Surely if potential buyer X contacted a seller in order to go round and look at an item, the seller would see their ID name in the message.

And surely the seller would watch the auction with interest after that to see if X bid and how much. I know I would.

I would definitely notice, anyway, that the winning bidder had a different ID name. And I would notice the person coming to pick up was the same person who came to look. Unless of course they sent in their partner.

They would be taking a risk as there is no guarantee that the seller/buyer had even exchanged address details so they could be sprung.

But I suppose in the final analysis, the seller would have all the money, they would just have some explaining to do to buyer Y.

It could get rather interesting if buyer Y never turned up. never messaged the seller, or sent a message to say they had changed their mind & they didn't want it. The seller would have been paid for an item but technically could send a cancellation request.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply