Ongoing issues with uploading tracking demands under new system - over it!

My first issue was that seemingly out of nowhere (wasn't up to date on managed payment changes I guess) my funds started to be held when I made sales even though I had used this account for 17+ years until I uploaded tracking. This doesn't suit me so after some trial and error I changed all of my listings to untracked to get my funds usually in 1-2 business days. However now that I am selling larger items that take longer in transit they hold the funds on these high value items anyway until I upload valid tracking. Which I could do, yet if they item doesn't arrive in time (and I only have the option of max 10 business days and my supplier can be up to 15) I get a late shipment defect. I started incurring these when I tried to do the right thing for both me and the seller which really affected my sales. I'd love to be transparent with the buyer about when their items are arriving too. So I essentially can't even follow their process because it affects my account so negatively.

I have called ebay probably 20 times on the issue to which they changed my late shipment measure from a percentage (which was calculating only off the items I uploaded tracking for and not the 100s of sales and therefore wasn't accurate) to a numerical count of 5 or less for low volume sellers (which I am not).

If I incur one more late shipment defect I'll be at a lower seller rating again and in turn getting way less sales when I am doing the right thing! 

Is this system driving other sellers insane the way it is me? We are customers of ebay too at the end of the day but it seems like these changes are all to our detriment.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

As already mentioned, extend your handling time. Usually it means the buyer gets the item before the first ETA, which makes them really happy.

You currently appear to have a 1 day handling time. In these Covid times, that is a recipe for disaster. Yes, things have picked up with delivery times, but they still aren't back to how they used to be. I would extend your handling time to 5 days, at the very least. If you don't, you'll fall below standard and most of your items won't be seen because they'll be at the bottom of the pit.

Edit: I should have added, extend your handling time to at least 5 days, but still post same or next day. That way a lot of buyers will get their item before the first ETA.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Lower handling time is meant to give your listing better search results but I have tried it for only short periods and not long enough to see a result. Plus its better to have five days and ship in one then one and get late shipment defects from what I have seen.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Why not change your handling time?

That way you can still send your items tracked but have some breathing room.

You can set it for up to 30 days (or something like that).

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

As already mentioned, extend your handling time. Usually it means the buyer gets the item before the first ETA, which makes them really happy.

You currently appear to have a 1 day handling time. In these Covid times, that is a recipe for disaster. Yes, things have picked up with delivery times, but they still aren't back to how they used to be. I would extend your handling time to 5 days, at the very least. If you don't, you'll fall below standard and most of your items won't be seen because they'll be at the bottom of the pit.

Edit: I should have added, extend your handling time to at least 5 days, but still post same or next day. That way a lot of buyers will get their item before the first ETA.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Oh that's a great suggestion, I actually did do that to one of my listings ages ago but forgot about it. Thank you. I wonder how it affects the visibility of listings though. But a necessary change to be made.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I've had a 5 day handling time for years and it's not made one difference to my sales. I still aim to post same or next day, but have that handling time for the rare occasion I can't get to the PO within that time.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Lower handling time is meant to give your listing better search results but I have tried it for only short periods and not long enough to see a result. Plus its better to have five days and ship in one then one and get late shipment defects from what I have seen.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Which I could do, yet if they item doesn't arrive in time (and I only have the option of max 10 business days and my supplier can be up to 15) I get a late shipment defect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a bit confused, are you drop shipping, or buying from a supplier after you have sold the item on ebay.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

As you are drop-shipping some of your items you need to be VERY aware of the policies regarding that method of selling, particularly relating to selling an item and THEN ordering from your supplier which is not allowed.

If eBay finds out you are doing that they could well restrict or even close your selling account.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/drop-shipping?id=4176&s...

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/selling-policies/third-party-fulfilment-policy?id=4718

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Yes exactly and its impossible to avoid the defects and access my funds in a timely way unless I extend the handling time, plus its annoying for the buyer to not be given a tracking number. I just adjusted all of my listings to 5 days so will see how it goes. 

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I am VERY aware of these policies. I don't really understand what you are insinuating as everything I am doing is within eBay's guidelines for selling. 

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply