Overly enthusiastic buyers

I've been quite lucky with my buyers , but sometimes I wish some of them were not so enthusiastic!

On a number of occasions, I've had buyers buy multiple items, then send a message asking of if I combine postage, which I do.

In the couple of hours from when they send the message, they go ahead and pay all the postage anyway without waiting for a response. One buyer bought, sent an enquiry and then paid everything in the space of 10 minutes. I mean, why bother sending the enquiry then?

Of course, in the end I refund postage overpayments, and this would not be a problem if I wasn't paying an FVF on the ENTIRE original total of the transaction! Sometimes there can be a $15.00 difference between the invoice total and my adjusted total with combined postage, so it's a bit annoying to know that I've paid $1.50 in FVF's unnecesarily.

If people have sent a message asking about postage, why can they not wait a few hours for a reply???

It's not as if the items is going to get to them any quicker.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It happens, luckily the majority of people wait.  Don't refund the whole postage amount because then you lose out to the eBay fees.  It's plain and simple.  If they complain with negative feedback then you can respond to their feedback.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I did a partial refund recently via PayPal for overpaid express.
Then went onto live chat and requested the fvf back. They checked that the refund had indeed been done then instantly credited the fvf refund. All too easy andonly took a few minutes.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I have several ongoing bulk buyers, but I sometimes have the same problem with new buyers.

When I'm asked to wait, I usually send an email and ask them not to pay and  contact me when they're finished. (although it seems in your case you didn't have time    Woman Happy)

With my 'regulars' we have a system where I just send an invoice (minus postage) on Sundays, and they pay during the week.  When their bag is full, or they request their items, I send the invoice including postage.   This seems to work well for us all.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Most of my overly enthusiastic buyers are low feedback buyers. I think they want to be seen to be doing the right thing "I bought, I must pay". They want to make a good impression. I run auctions and when I've seen a new buyer bidding on multiple items, I send a message as soon as their first auction is finished requesting they don't pay until all their auctions have finished. Some have replied thanking me and said they didn't know they were allowed to wait, they thought they had to pay straight away.

I then explain that most sellers are happy for you to finish buying before paying and if they're unsure, send a message, especially if the auctions span over the next week. I also explain that eBay doesn't like it when sellers refund, so best to wait for a combined invoice. I will even go so far as to say if they are buying buy it now items, buy what they want, then send the seller a request for total and don't pay until they receive the invoice. As long as you stay in touch with the seller, they are usually happy.

I have had a couple of high feedback buyers pay after each auction, even if the next one is due to finish in less than 5 minutes. I feel like slapping them and telling them they should know better!

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Yes .... agreed.

The buyers I mentioned are not low feedback ones .... all have been buying from me for more than a year and have an 'ongoing' satcel (usually 5kgs).  As you can imagine, this can go over a long period of time, hence the weekly payment.   I make a point of staying in contact and they are good communicators.

I understand what you're saying about the overly enthusiastic newbies.... but I must say, I haven't had any non-payers for a long time now.  (maybe I shouldn't have said that ๐Ÿ™‚ !!!!!

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I state very clearly in my listings that combined postage discounts are only given on items paid for on a single invoice and that if items are paid for individually then they will be posted separately at full cost.

If I notice that a buyer has won something and is bidding on other items I will send them a message telling them not to pay until they let me know they are finished bidding and wait for the combined invoice.

On the rare occasion I have had a buyer pay separately I do exactly as my listings say and treat them as individual transactions.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I get this quite often, though rarely about postage (luckily my items are suited to automated postage discounts, so it's only the ones who don't know how to pay for multiple purchases together that overpay in the end, and it's easier for me to just combine and refund automatically).

I usually get Q's about customisations to a piece the buyer is interested in, but then they find something else and buy that instead, or decide to just buy the item and message again to ask (sometimes tell) me to make the customisations.

It's frustrating because often times the customisations they want would cost extra, and it's very difficult for me not to get out my cranky keyboard and scold them. Smiley LOL Other times the customisations or requests just aren't possible, so I have to go through the hoopla of messaging to confirm alternative options, added costs or cancellations, and a lot of the time I never hear from them again, so I just cancel. 

Sometimes I think the issue is that people worry they'll miss out on the item, even if there's a few available, so take the "buy now, ask questions later" approach. 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Even though they have high feedback if they are predominantly buyers and only casual sellers, they are probably intimidated by the automated Pay Now messages from eBay - and the other message, which pops up if listings are 'pay immediately - your order is not confirmed until it is paid', so if they have seen that message, they may think it applies to all orders . . . . .

Just a few thoughts . . . .

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply