Packing external hard drives for postage

evans_jl01
Community Member

Hi all,

I've got a couple of external HD's I'd like to pop up for sale, just wondering if anyone has some experience mailing these and what they can recommend to pack them with. I'm a bit concerned that they could get knocked around a bit on the way.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I would box them with some good quality bubble wrap or peanuts.

I'd also advise using calculated postage on your listing so each person that views them can see exactly what it would cost for shipping.

OR you could box them and use a satchel if they'd fit. That way, it's flat rate shipping Oz wide.

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

evans_jl01
Community Member

I think I'll go with the packing peanuts. I will be sending them in prepaid satchels. Thanks for your reply.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

If using satchels, I'd be far more inclined to use bubble wrap instead as the peanuts will shift in transit and expose the item inside to possible external damage.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I'd use bubblewrap AND peanuts if it is going in a satchel. 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

If using satchels, I'd be far more inclined to use bubble wrap instead as the peanuts will shift in transit and expose the item inside to possible external damage.

Agreed. What I generally do to take advantage of satchel rates and keep items well protected at the same time is wrap the item once or twice in bubble wrap, cut cardboard to size and then tape it to the wrapped item so that it's boxed in, then fill the void of the satchel with other padding (peanuts if I have them to hand, shredded paper if I don't). 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

AP, there's a few sellers on here who sell boxes which are designed to fit into all the AP satchels. That could also be an option too. I think you can buy them in packs of 10 so if you're planning on selling a few HDD's, it could be a good idea.

Just check out the Postage Supplies section.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

AP = OP

PS, I HATE forum flood control!

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply