Partial Refund

The seller sent me a defective item and I asked for partial refund as it would be such a hassle to return the item. After I opened a Paypal

claim, the seller agreed to partial refund but asked me to close the claim first saying their finance department cannot issue refund when there’s an open claim. So, I did. However, it’s been months since the back and forth discussion and now they’re saying there’s issue with eBay which prevent them from giving me the partial refund.  I cannot find instructions online where I can ask for partial refund apart from just sending an email to the seller. The seller kept saying it’s eBay issue.. Not sure I believe them. I was wondering if I can contact eBay directly with this issue so I can get to the bottom of this. Being in limbo is not great.  Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Partial Refund

Never ever close a claim until you have complete satisfaction with the outcome. The phase "their finance department cannot issue refund when there’s an open claim" is a very common tactic used by dodgy sellers.

Since you opened a Paypal claim and closed it it cannot be reopened, likewise you cannot go from a Paypal claim to an eBay claim, you can only go from an eBay claim to a Paypal claim.

Your only way out is if you funded the purchase with a credit card through Paypal, then you MAY be able to do a chargeback on it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Partial Refund

Yep, case closed once you received a partial refund.

The seller played you.

I'd leave negative feedback, maybe then the seller might consider sending you a refund, "before" you revise the feedback 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Partial Refund

@motor*magz wrote:

I'd leave negative feedback, maybe then the seller might consider sending you a refund, "before" you revise the feedback 

Unfortunately the sellers that give the excuse they can't refund until a dispute is closed are very well aware of the 60 day feedback limit and will factor that into the stalling process.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Partial Refund

When you closed the case, you were telling Paypal that you were happy with the outcome

Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Partial Refund

Thank you all.  Yep, lesson learned.  Cheers! 😊

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Partial Refund

As a case cannot be reopened, scammers will obviously advise to close the case so they can help you because they cannot help you as long as a case is open, but then they will disappear. It's like adding insult to injury... I hope it was not an expensive item.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Partial Refund

It's not.. luckily it's not an expensive lesson... I just felt so stupid to be conned like this... 😅 oh well... 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Partial Refund

It happens to many people, don't worry... Sometimes for expensive items!

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply