PayPal as opposed to eBay Claim

Hi all,

I sold an item which was listed with a stock image as is quite common in the listing category I sell in. Buyer receives item on Thursday and claims that the label has fading and immediately sends me a refund request saying if he had known the label was faded he would not have bought the item. Of course this is totally reasonable and I would agree with him wholeheartedly, except I dispute that it was and I responded immediately saying we would be happy to resolve this ASAP but could he provide images of all four faces of the item so we can be sure this is the same one we sent to him as we bought 5 of these together and the label's are quite distinctive in that they were bought on vacation in New Zealand. Images would prove straight away that we either sent this item and indeed item label is faded, or that it is not the item we sent. 

The buyer never responded and today I find they have opened a PayPal dispute for 'signigantly not as described'. I wonder why they have done this through Paypal as opposed to eBay and also any ideas on how to respond to the PayPal dispute?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Several years ago a seller sold some expensive cognac or bourbon and opened a dispute.

When the seller had the item returned they had replaced the contents with a cheap whiskey and received a refund.

I would call PayPal and explain buyer did not respond to request of photo's and they haven't returned the item.

Also mention you know of a scenario where  buyer has changed the contents of the bottle.

PayPal are usually very good at taking on information.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Be very glad the buyer has used paypal first.....it means they cannot try an ebay dispute if you win this paypal dispute.  If they had started with an ebay dispute and failed they could then have gone the paypal route.

In my experience the seller gets a fairer hearing with paypal.   In ebay it is almost a forgone conclusion that the buyer will win no matter what proof the seller can provide.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@expanded_perceptions wrote:

Hi all,

I sold an item which was listed with a stock image as is quite common in the listing category I sell in. Buyer receives item on Thursday and claims that the label has fading and immediately sends me a refund request saying if he had known the label was faded he would not have bought the item. Of course this is totally reasonable and I would agree with him wholeheartedly, except I dispute that it was and I responded immediately saying we would be happy to resolve this ASAP but could he provide images of all four faces of the item so we can be sure this is the same one we sent to him as we bought 5 of these together and the label's are quite distinctive in that they were bought on vacation in New Zealand. Images would prove straight away that we either sent this item and indeed item label is faded, or that it is not the item we sent. 

The buyer never responded and today I find they have opened a PayPal dispute for 'signigantly not as described'. I wonder why they have done this through Paypal as opposed to eBay and also any ideas on how to respond to the PayPal dispute?

Any ideas gratefully received.

I know I'm not really helping because it's too late now, but for the rest of this case, and all future ones, I would avoid any implication that I may accuse them of deceipt. At least until I am actually ready to accuse them. Someone on these forums (I'm sorry I forget who) suggested something like:

We want to help resolve this ASAP. So that we can process this promptly, please provide pictures of all 4 sides of the [insert object].

Also, If I were you, especially at the value of the items you are selling, I would have a lot of photos on the listings. Not only will it help sell them (the search engine favours listings with more photos, buyers probably favour them too), but it provides proof of what you are sending.

Even if you get your 4 photos, have you any proof that the bottle you sent is different? Does your listing show this label so that you can point paypal to it? Also, you are bound to get another Not As Described case in the future where someone claims the item was not sealed, so make sure at least one photo clearly shows the item is sealed. You can still have the stock image, but I would be photographing every inch from multiple angles, of the boxes as well as the bottles.

Also, check this recent post from countessalmirena which has some very good instructions on the best way to go about this call. Paypal are not as adversarial as ebay, but the bit about properly preparing and how to do so is good advice

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/buyer-failed-to-return-item-in-5-business-days-plus-returne...

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@purplemon18 wrote:
I know I'm not really helping because it's too late now, but for the rest of this case, and all future ones, I would avoid any implication that I may accuse them of deceipt. At least until I am actually ready to accuse them.

Agreed. The objective is to get the relevant information in a pleasant and co-operative manner, and the personal element is best kept right out, not only because it is wrong to implicitly accuse someone of wrong-doing, but also because it's counter-productive.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Whilst it’s perfectly fine to use stock photos, I would also include photos of the actual item, more to protect yourself than anything else.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply