PayPal gone too far !

Just how much personal information does paypal think it can demand ?  Yes, we had a verified account, Buyer pays for item via paypal when item description specificly states cash on pick up only (after all it weighs 200 kgs). Paypal then freezes account and demands we 'ship' the item to the buyer !!!!! We dont have access to buyers funds as paypal has frozen the entire account. Paypal has buyers money, but PP request more identification from us. Paypal has Bank details, Passsport, Drivers Licence, Medicare details and a full local government rates notice and they STATE THAT THAT IS NOT ENOUGH !!! They want social security details (which we dont have ) oh and full ATO taxation details and tax returns (which is no benefit to them as ATO will not confirm details with outside parties like Paypal due to our privacy laws) starting to think Paypal has crooks just collecting personal id) for some nefarious purpose. Interesting that we have a verified paypal account and the buyer is un-verified !  When is someone in this country going to start taking a good look into paypals practices ?

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

PayPal gone too far !

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Are you sure the email is genuine.  I have never heard of paypal requesting that information.

The fact that they are asking for a social security number indicates to me that they have no idea what forms of ID are acceptable in Australia.

Try ringing paypal before you get all upset.  I think this scam email is just a coincidence as paypal is now holding payments for up to 21 days or until you prove postage.

Message 2 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

x3n0m
Community Member

.. am sure the buyer would love free shipping of a 200KG item .. this place has lost the plot completely and am nervous that ebay or paypal is going to start ripping people off as all the policies seem to be robotivc and obviously what you are going through makes no sense .. pick up only doesn't mean ship a 200KG item for free .. the buyer must be disgusted as paypal has their money too ,, what a mess .. am definitely winding down my sales presence here now ..

Message 3 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

You have received a scam email,PayPal do not ask for all those details,just your address and bank/creditcard details that's it.

Message 4 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

@collective05 wrote:

You have received a scam email,PayPal do not ask for all those details,just your address and bank/creditcard details that's it.

Not quite right collectiv05.

After a certain amount of money has gone through yoyr paypal account you will be asked to provide proof of your identity with certain documents such as drivers licence, passport, utilities bills...much the same as 100 points of ID required to open a bank account.

Message 5 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

Correct.  We just had to go through this with them.  It was simple though, just passport and driver's license, and yes, it was genuine - it wasn't an email it was a notification ON the actual account when we logged in.  No big drama with ours tho.

Message 6 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

Hi, no it is genuine. This has been going on for over a month now. They now have far more id than legally required to even open a bank account in Australia. The buyer who was told cash on pick up paid by paypal and there is no way we are letting a 200 kg statue go interstate as their is no protection for sellers under paypal. We cannot refund the buyers money as we dont legally have it, Papypal do and they have frozen it for over a month now.

Message 7 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

I have explained that to the buyer that the item was cash on pick up only. I have explained to them that paypal have their payment frozen, the buyers does not seem to care and are demanding the statue and what I can envisage is a buyer doing a not as described, paypal of course would then refund them and we are left with a 200 kg statue in another state. It was plainly stated in the description, cash on pick-up only and that they would need to bring some muscle to pick it up about 3-4 very strong men. Paypal are without any sense or reason, oh I can log into the account but it is all frozen. i think this will be the death call for most sellers on ebay now that they are going to hold sellers money for 21 days, freeze sellers money on a whim, just think about it , if authorities in Australia need to freeze someones account they need to go to court to get an order to do it yet paypal use the flimsy excuse of terrorism and money laundering.
Message 8 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

I wish it was, but it is not. This is all genuine paypal stuff
Message 9 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

Yes that is right Lyndal. The payment was for $999.00. Paypal has our confirmed australian bank accounts, current valid passport, current valid drivers licence, full medicare details and current valid local government rates notice with full name and of course address and they say it is not enough. We don't have anymore details to give them.
Message 10 of 47
Latest reply