PayPal gone too far !

Just how much personal information does paypal think it can demand ?  Yes, we had a verified account, Buyer pays for item via paypal when item description specificly states cash on pick up only (after all it weighs 200 kgs). Paypal then freezes account and demands we 'ship' the item to the buyer !!!!! We dont have access to buyers funds as paypal has frozen the entire account. Paypal has buyers money, but PP request more identification from us. Paypal has Bank details, Passsport, Drivers Licence, Medicare details and a full local government rates notice and they STATE THAT THAT IS NOT ENOUGH !!! They want social security details (which we dont have ) oh and full ATO taxation details and tax returns (which is no benefit to them as ATO will not confirm details with outside parties like Paypal due to our privacy laws) starting to think Paypal has crooks just collecting personal id) for some nefarious purpose. Interesting that we have a verified paypal account and the buyer is un-verified !  When is someone in this country going to start taking a good look into paypals practices ?

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

PayPal gone too far !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also go to I think it is the privacy council about this. Giving out that amount of information puts you at risk for identity theft and no company has the right to ask for that information. 

Message 21 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

I wish you all the best with this Attic-case.

I only wish I knew how to do stuff like this. Or knew the right people as you say.

The only thing that has crossed my mind is to get in touch with my local federal member.

But talking to them about something like this in which there are no votes, would be akin to talking with an ebay CSR about anything unless there was $$$ in it for them.

If you need moral support I'm there for what its worth.

Message 22 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

Have done that and paypal have the money frozen from the buyers end as well

Message 23 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

Hmmm have contacted the buyer numerous times and they have declined to ask paypal for their money back ????? Odd, I think so. Paypal are not holding our money they are holding the buyers money and have frozen the buyers money. We have told paypal to this and they dont care. They will never be given tax details, the only extra thing given is the current local government rates notice issued this year Sept.2014 and Paypal have rejected it saying it is TOO OLD !!!!!!

Message 24 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

That is ridiculous.....September would be the latest notice, wouldn't it?  I am sure that when I had to give them identity documents it had to be within the last 12 months.  I was lucky in my timing as I had just had a Council Rates notice and the electricity bill had been paid 2 days previously.

Stop **bleep**-footing around with paypal....it is time to go to the FSO.

Message 25 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

Under Australia's Privacy Laws, there are very few entities who are entitled to have your TFN and/or Centrelink no. - and PayPal is not one of them.

You really do need to lodge a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service - and hey! it will cost PayPal $1500 in fines.  Apart from the fact that you will get the funds unfrozen, there's poetic justice in causing PayPal to suffer another financial loss.  One word for it - Payback!!.

PS : Can I have permission to post a link for this thread on the People versus PayPal FB page (the one started by members here).

Message 26 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

Yes it is the current rates notice. There are lots of bleeps aren't there. So Full current passport, full drivers (car, truck, motorbike) licence,full medicare details and local goverment rates notice & it is not enough. Oh but ebay are still demanding final selling fees and paypal have taken their portion already (funny they cant seem to freeze that). The odd thing is that the buyer has not filed a INR dispute and after paying 999.00 for something you would think that is the first thing they would do....

Message 27 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

You have my permission 🙂
Message 28 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

Thank you clarry100. That is much appreciated, all we wanted to do was sell a statue that we legally own and be paid in cash when it was picked up and that is all we wanted, not much, certainly this threatening and abusive behaviour from ebay and paypal.
Message 29 of 47
Latest reply

PayPal gone too far !

They are demanding a centrelink number.....I don't have one to give them
Message 30 of 47
Latest reply