PayPal “payment cancellation” e cheque? **bleep**

Been selling elsewhere lately but listed a few things on eBay.

Sold an item which was paid but was showing payment not cleared (called it an e cheque payment) and after it sat there a week, all the while via the listing showing as not paid, suddenly comes up as a cancelled payment and still showing as unpaid.

Sent a message to the buyer and a reminder but no reply received and 8 days now since the sale and original payment.

First question how/why/what is this?

Second, using the app, how does one proceed with the unpaid item process? Only option is “cancel the sale”.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Do not cancel the sale.    I don't understand why you can see the unpaid item process, maybe someone can explain.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Happy to be corrected if I am in error.

There would be no provision for the UPI as there was a payment... even though the e cheque did not clear.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

could you mark it as "unpaid" and then proceed?

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Can’t mark as unpaid. Only visible payment related option is mark as paid.
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

The buyer has now contacted me and said they are having payment issues with PayPal, I’ve offered the option of bank transfer otherwise will give some leeway to sort their payment issue out.
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

This might be true - I also had a buyer who was having trouble with paypal, took a day to sort it out.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Maybe it's my paranoia, but I sometimes think that certain buyers pay by echeque, knowing that it will ultimately cancel for whatever reason. They rely on the seller sending the item without checking on cleared payment.

Not saying that's the case here, but I would cancel the sale with the reason "problem with buyers address" in order to avoid a defect.

If the sale does go ahead for whatever reason, please send it with tracking in order to avoid future "potential" issues.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

An e-cheque is when a buyer draws funds from their linked bank account to complete their PayPal payment.  As there's a often a delay with bank transfers, the "e-cheque" has to wait to be cleared.

In my experience in two decades, e-cheques almost always fail to clear.  Sometimes they try again and fail again too, so I don't ship anything without it being cleared.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

It sounds like you've worked things out with the buyer, but in case it helps in the future, or someone else, you can normally open UPIs for bounced / cancelled eCheque transactions by just going to the resolution centre and searching for the transaction via the item number(s). 

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply