Paying for paypal

Buyers have the choice whether to use paypal (with extra costs) or bank deposit.

This benefits shareholders of ebay Ink (well it might do if it didn't do so much to reduce activity on ebay by driving away sellers or limiting what is viable to sell.)

What creative ways have people found for redressing this and letting the decision-maker pay for the decision? (Other than discounts for bank deposit.) For instance, would I be within my rights to accept paypal for the item but bank deposit only for postage? Or what about regular postage only with bank deposit, signature and insurance required (at buyer's cost) with paypal?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Paying for paypal

There is no extra costs for the buyers to pay with paypal.

You do not have to offer paypal if you offer paymente or credit card payments.

You can put in the listing postage discount applies with bank payments BUT no buyer would do that as there is no protection for them.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks sparklz

In normal usage buyers pay a price, costs are incurred by sellers. 

Paymate and credit card are listed under the so-called safe payment options in flagrant evasion of the ACCC ruling on forcing sellers to accept paypal. The cost of accepting credit cards is out of the question for most sellers, and the cost of accepting paymate was lower but ebay did a very smutty deal with paymate to let them back on ebay in return for pricing themselves above paypal. However my question was not about the disreputable reasons for ebays policy. It was about how to implement their policy without surrendering to their bullying.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Excuse me sorry.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I think sparklz answered your question perfectly.

You do have a choice however, either abide by their seller policies for selling on ebay OR dont sell on ebay. In normal usage a buyer pays a price and buys an item which helps pay seller costs. Ebay dont FORCE you to use paypal but rather some form of safe payment method. The choice is yours, its just that most buyers prefer the safety of Paypal.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I think you have a few facts mixed up. First the ACCC did not force ebay to do anything, they asked them to reconsider the Paypal only policy, they did not realise that so many buyers preferred to not use Paypal for some strange reason.

The cost of accepting Paymate payments did not go up, I have had an account since it's inception and used to offer it but no longer do so just in case somebody chooses to use it.

I cannot understand why any seller would want to discourage a buyer from using a safe payment method by offering a discount for paying money into a complete stranger's bank account.

Of course buyers ultimately pay all the costs associated with selling as long as the seller has built those costs into the item price, if they don't then that is hardly ebay's fault.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

bsal, maybe your comment was posted before seeing my response to sparklz? I said:

my question was not about the disreputable reasons for ebays policy. It was about how to implement their policy

I am looking for a way to 'abide by their seller policies for selling on ebay' and let a person deciding to increase the costs of the transaction to pay for the increased costs, a way that complies with ebay's oppressive policies. I'm not asking for education about my civil rights, which at present rate will have shrunk to less than nothing within a few years. I assure you I am very knowledgeable on that subject but it has very little to do with paypal or ebay and I don't understand why it keeps being raised on this forum.

Perhaps naively, I imagined that people who are so keen on ebay policies would know, for example whether I would or would not be contravening them if I 'accept paypal for the item but bank deposit only for postage' or charge, not for using paypal, but for associated expenses such as 'signature and insurance'. I researched the forum before posting, and I'm sure this will have been discussed, but didn't find anything helpful.

Though, to be honest, I had more hopes of help from people facing the same problems and overcoming them. I'm still hopeful, though perhaps some will remain silent in fear of persecution.

Now that the fantasy of paypal being safer has been repeated, I fear I'll have to dispose of it if it comes up again, but I'll hold off for now in the hope of getting back to the original topic.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

If you aren't shonky then you would have nothing to fear by using a buyer safe payment method.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Leaving aside the completely unworkable system of paying for the item and posatge by different methods, if a buyer does not pay for postage through paypal it will be considered a Pick Up item and neither the buyer nor the seller will have paypal protection.

You could always give it a try though and let us know how you go.   Do you really think buyers came down in the last shower?

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I do know paypal is quite expensive, but oh sooo convenient.

Todays experience: Message from buyer to say Ï have paid for my item, (given bank deposit details), but you have given me a strike for non payment.

Now go back 4 weeks. Customer orders, but no payment. Reminder messages sent (one auto from ebay, one manual from me). Nothing heard - so open UPI dispute. 4 days later still no contact, close dispute, end of story.

Back to now": I go looking in my bank account for said payment - yes, bingo it is there and made the day after purchase. But it transpires that the buyer used another family members account to make the purchase but put their own ID with the bank deposit.....I wondered where that payment came from??? Oh well, hopefully the customer will like her purchase, it is on its way!

I love paypal, Paymate etc!!!Cat Frustrated

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply