Paypal Claim

I have had a buyer submit a paypal dispute thismorning and then a minute later escalate it into a claim before I had even read the email.  She is stating that a New with Tags dress I sold her which is labelled and tagged size 18 is not an 18 that it is too small for her and appears more like a 14.  I was a bit shocked as there is not much more I can do to prove that it is an 18 than what was in the listing.  No I didn't provide measurements but it is a well known label and she also didn't ask for measurements.  Will she suceed in making this claim? I have looked at her feedback she has left other people and she has left a fair amount of negative feedback.  So I have had this plus had to submit three unpaid item disputes this week.  Frustrating!!

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Paypal Claim

It's odd that they were able to escalate to a claim straight away, as you would think you get a chance to defend the claim which (as far as I know) is not possible once the dispute is escalated.

In saying that, I'm not sure what the buyer's chance of success with this one is - if the label says 18 and it was described as an 18 without measurements in the description, being too small for them personally isn't really enough grounds for significantly not as described. If they do win the claim, they will be asked to return the item by registered post, and once received back they will get a full refund of the original payment; you may have success in appealing that decision if it does go that way, since it seems like you weren't given the opportunity to state your case.

It does, however, highlight the importance of accurate measurements being in the description, as so many different brands vary in their standard sizes. Often times I'd get clothing that measured vastly different to the average Australian standard, so would highlight that in my listings. Sometimes I'm pretty certain they were at the clearance outlet specifically because they were mislabelled. 

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Not odd at all in my experience, when I have opened a dispute and it is obvious it is not going to be resolved as I have contacted the seller before opening the dispute I have usually been able to escalate straight away.

One of the perils of not providing measurements, the couple of minutes that would have taken may have saved you the hassle.

I have had a couple of buyers over the years claim an item is too small or big and I just ask them to send a photo of the item with a tape measure showing where my measurements are incorrect and I have never heard from them again.

Just being from the same label is no guarantee the sizes will be consistent, I did the listings for 3 items from the same label yesterday, all meant to be the same size and their wasn't one common measurement, the chest, sleeve length and hips were all inconsistent.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I had the same problem. Unbeknown to me, a dispute was raised and before I finished reading it, a claim came through. I e-mailed the buyer and PayPal with all the details but all I got was an acknowledgement from PayPal of receipt. No response from the buyer whose parcel which he didn't receive is still waiting in his Post Office.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
All you do is upload the tracking id and PayPal will find in your favour if item is awaiting collection.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Done all that including resending it to buyer but so far nothing. Tried to phone PayPal but gave up after waiting 25 Minutes.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Yesterday I decided to wait as long as it takes. Finally got to speak to someone, ten minutes later the claim was dismissed and found in my favour.  All this after waiting for 3 weeks after notifying them with all the details. Lesson learnt, phone up straight away and get it sorted.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply