Paypal Integration

I went into Paypal today and saw this banner

Does anybody understand this? 

What do I need to do.

I read the 2016 Merchant Security Roadmap and the Merchant Security Checklist

I didn't understand any of it.

https://www.paypal-knowledge.com/infocenter/index?page=content&widgetview=true&id=FAQ1913&viewlocale...

Paypal integration

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Paypal Integration

It means that websites and apps which interface directly with PayPal's API to process payments will need to be updated in various ways to update the security methods.  PayPal is changing to more secure methods for connecting websites to its service.  A web programmer or whoever setup a website should be able to do the updating work.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Many thanks for the information.

Now for the dumb question (yes, it's been one of those days!!), do we have to do something or is it a Paypal thing?

Thanks again

Sandra

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

It depends how your website is setup to use PayPal.  You need to contact your website designer/programmer so they can read that page at PayPal and check a) if it's already setup to use those methods or can switch automatically and b) if it requires any additional work to fit the new requirements.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for that.

Since I posted this, I have realized that it is a Paypal thing probably nothing to do with ebay

I also have a website connected to this account, which no doubt it is referring to.

However, I set it up myself. I have no idea what they are talking about.

I rarely sell anything there. Mainly started setting this site as a "catalogue" for when I had enquriies about "what else" I had.

Might be easier to just remove the paypal buttons and just list anything anyone wants on ebay.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

If you're using simple PayPal buy now buttons which take the user to PayPal to take card details, process the card/payment and then come back to your website to say thanks then I believe it's nothing to do with that.  These changes are more to do with systems which run payment processes behind the scenes.

But there is one thing which is important: IPN Verification Postback to HTTPS.  They changing from allowing non-encypted HTTP method to needing to have it be secure under HTTPS.  Any serious web developer would have opted for HTTPS in the first place to have made it more secure.  This process simply double-checks with PayPal if the notification for a payment was legitimate or spoofed by someone hacking the site to try and get something for free.

If this check isn't used then always make sure the email you receive from PayPal notifying you of a payment is legit and the funds from the buyer are in your account.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you very much. I didn't do my own website...I just linked it when I joined ebay a couple of years ago. I'll just wait and see. Will check that the payments have gone through properly though.
Sandra
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for that

I don't fully understand all you have said, but I will

double check every payment on my paypal site.

They are just simple paypal buy now buttons.

When I finish the site, I might take it to a proper website developer for a bit of a polish up, and check on the security issues.

Johanne

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

In short as I understand it.

If you use PayPal in eBay, you don't need to do anything.

It is more for outside of eBay uses of PayPal. (own website, merchant facilities)

image host
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply