Paypal - Local pickup scam attempts on the rise

Hi

Has anyone noticed a marked increase in this attempt post 1 May 2015 , or just a general increase in buyers requesting Pickups's in general?

I had a buyer pay by paypal then request pickup which I promptly refunded after I looked at the buyers Facebook page! (looked like he was a part of a gang or had criminal connections) Even then I know this can be used by buyers to scam sellers with item not received disputes. 

After this unfortunate situation, I have had multitudes upon multitiudes of people messaging me as to whether I do pickup?

For fear of personal safety I've had to change all of my listings to postage only because of this rise in activity on the site. Additionally I've had to make sure that all my addresses have been changed to a PO Box address. 

Just wanna let people know as I hope no one goes off looking to make a honest sale and then ends up bashed or kidnapped. 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Paypal - Local pickup scam attempts on the rise

The only way a buyer can get their money back from Paypal for a pick up item is if they do a bank chargeback claiming it was an unauthorised transaction.  To prevent this if it were more than fifty or so dollars I would make it clear in the listing that anyone picking up would need to produce confirmation of id containing the address as shown in Paypal. You can then scan it and create two copies of a receipt confirming they have paid for and collected the item. With that information and also writing down the rego of the pick up vehicle you can tell any buyer you are passing that info onto the police if a chargeback is initiated.

In all the yearts I have been reading and posting on the boards I have only seen a couple of cases where this has been tried. In one instance the crook lived in a fairly small community and the seller contacted local police who went round and suggested that perhaps the buyer had made a 'mistake' and they cancelled the chargeback. In another the seller had a few friends who road motorbikes and liked baseball, needless to say a knock on the door made sure that again the chargeback was cancelkled.Man LOL

See what a trendsetter I am?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

As Paypal EXPLICITLY exclude pickup items from buyer (or seller) protection I doubt your fears have any reasonable basis.

And 1 May is not a significant date as far as I'm aware.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

The only way a buyer can get their money back from Paypal for a pick up item is if they do a bank chargeback claiming it was an unauthorised transaction.  To prevent this if it were more than fifty or so dollars I would make it clear in the listing that anyone picking up would need to produce confirmation of id containing the address as shown in Paypal. You can then scan it and create two copies of a receipt confirming they have paid for and collected the item. With that information and also writing down the rego of the pick up vehicle you can tell any buyer you are passing that info onto the police if a chargeback is initiated.

In all the yearts I have been reading and posting on the boards I have only seen a couple of cases where this has been tried. In one instance the crook lived in a fairly small community and the seller contacted local police who went round and suggested that perhaps the buyer had made a 'mistake' and they cancelled the chargeback. In another the seller had a few friends who road motorbikes and liked baseball, needless to say a knock on the door made sure that again the chargeback was cancelkled.Man LOL

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Just commenting so I can find this thread again for this comment. 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

There are no guarantees in life.....This morning I came up with a solution to a problem caused by a genuine seller being paranoid of scams. He'd heard that some buyers pay by paypal,pickup item, then say that they didn't get item and get a paypal refund.....Ironically he wanted to refund my paypal payment and have me pay with cash...I say ironically because this could set him up for the 'being bashed on pickup scam'.

In the end I pointed out that he had over 50 ebay transactions with 100% feedback and I had nearly 300 of the same....so we were both most likely genuine ebayers.....and SOLUTION?....(get this)....Upon sighting item/pickup I would acknowledge pickup of item via ebay messaging right there and then so that he had confirmation of me having received goods before I left the property.

He thought that was a solid idea and finally gave me the pickup address that he had been witholding....

Que two genuine ebayers, one genuine transaction....And they lived happily ever after....THE END ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

This thread is nearly 4 years old and the information is no longer current. 

Paypal now provides protection for pickup only items.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply