Paypal holding funds for Pickup Items

Apologies if this has been dealt with before...

After having 10 years of having readily available Paypal funds I now find I am on a 21 day hold for release of money for items I have sold.  Possibly this is in place because of a suspension Ebay placed on my account 3 months ago (that was lifted immediately after I challenged it).  But funds are being held by Paypal on pickup only items that have been paid, picked up and positive feedback left.  These are low value items <$100.

Paypal mention something about adding tracking - which of course I can't do as the items were picked up.

One transaction that was completed weeks ago has this:

This payment will be held in your pending balance until 1 September 2017. It may be available sooner, once we know the transaction went smoothly.

What does "once we know the transaction went smoothly" mean?  The buyer has picked up, paid and left positive feedback 3 weeks ago.  There is no option for refunds on pickup items so Paypal do not need to protect these funds from a chargeback or buyer refund claim.

I have sent Paypal messages to release my funds for completed transactions, threatened to escalate to the Financial Ombudsman etc but have had no reply.

Should I add a bogus tracking number from an "Other" courier to release funds sooner - will this help?

Should I escalate to the FOS - what chance of success will I have to get this hold on my funds removed?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You'd be best off phoning Paypal rather than emailing them, most members have found them easy to deal with over the phone, you can always ask for a supervisor if needs be.

Definately do not put a fake tracking number in, if they spot it you'll be in worse trouble than you are now................

Go to the FSO if they won't help after phoning them.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Why are you accepting paypal for pickup items?

You don't have any seller protection for pickup items when a buyer pays with paypal.

Have you just started selling recently? 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I should have said started selling again recently?

As that's the reason the 21 day hold would be placed on you.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Over 100 sales in the last 6 months and over 200 in the last year eezi, so there shouldn't be a hold on funds.

Also the OP doesn't have a choice about Paypal on pickup items, if the buyer insists then he has to accept it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks - yes I've been around a while Man Happy .  I had an issue with Ebay 2 months ago when they accused me of trying to sell outside of Ebay but they acknowledged I was not, so my account was only suspended for half a day, but I think this triggered Paypal to hold my funds?

And yes I have to allow Paypal for pickup - doesn't everyone?  I know I can return the payment to the buyer's Paypal account and ask for cash on pickup but I think the funds would still be held by Paypal from what I can see.  

Plus returning a buyer's Paypal payment and insisting on cash is a quick way to turn off buyers IMO.  Most buyers are aware there is no refund for Paypal on pickup items (I always win the fight on that one) but they still like to pay that way even when I politely request cash.

I have no problem with the Paypal payment process, I just don't think funds should be held for pickup items.  I will take this up with them again.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks yes I have been around a while Man Happy

The hold on funds most likely was triggered when Ebay temporarily suspended my account 2 months ago after accusing me of attempting to sell outside of Ebay which I was not, and they lifted the suspension within half a day.  Maybe it triggers something with Paypal?

I do accept Paypal for pickups as I can't control this with buyers.  I always request cash on pickup but it is the buyer's choice how they pay.  And I am not interested in refunding their payment and insisting on cash as this doesn't create goodwill - it's hard enough getting a sale these days!  Most buyers know they have no rights for a refund for a pickup item (and I have always won that fight) but Paypal is still a convenient way for buyers to pay.  The proportion of my buyers paying with Paypal for pickup items has steadily increased each year, maybe now 40-50%?

I don't have a problem with being paid via Paypal for pickup items, I do have a problem with Paypal holding the funds for 21 days - funds which are not refundable to the buyer anyway.  Once the item is marked as 'Sent' the funds should be released.

So I will take this up again with Paypal via phone this time

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply