Paypal security

Question : If paypal is so secure like ebay, paypal and some buyers like to think , why is it then that paypal just recently made all there registered paypal users change there paypal password due to a hacker into paypal website!!! ..................no banking institution has ever asked me to change my password in past 50 yrs ..............ummmmmmmmmmmm interesting !!

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Paypal security

cq_tech
Community Member
First Ive heard about it. I haven't been asked by Paypal to change my password in the 10 years I've been a member. Perhaps you fell victim to a phishing email? In which case, you'd better change it again quick smart before you lose all your money.
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Paypal security

I haven't been asked to change my PayPal passwords but I do change them every couple of years.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Paypal security

I've had a paypal account for about 10-years now and they have never asked me to change my password.

Only ebay have done that in recent times.

Of course we do change them regularly ourselves as you should.

And NEVER click on links sent in emails even if you think you trust the sender. Some attacks are sent out from email accounts that have been already hacked just to lure you into trusting the source so you will more readily click on any embedded link.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Paypal security

No institution, whether paypal or banks, are completely fail safe, if someone knows what they are doing they can and do get in.

Change your own password regularly at banks and paypal etc.

I only use the interbanking sites that have a keycode tag that I enter whenever I want to pay or transfer funds to a third party.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Paypal security

Sounds like you were scammed. I too have not been asked by PayPal to change my password. I'm very interested in your claim that your bank hasn't asked you to change your password for 50 years too. You must be very special because I worked for Westpac in the eighties and I don't recall internet banking back then let alone 1964
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Paypal security

I have had Paypal accounts since before it was even called Paypal and I have never been asked to change my password. I do so every now and then because it is a sensible precaution to take but only ebay have ever asked that I change all my passwords.

The only reason I know of for Paypal to ask you to change would be if something had happened that might make your account unsafe for instance you having fallen for a phishing email and that would always be onm an individual basis..

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Paypal security

like all the others, Ive had a paypal account for over 10 years, never ever been asked to change my password.

def.think you have been scammed

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Paypal security

Whenever we can we make use of Two Factor Authentication.

In some cases this means the institution you are trying to log into will SMS a code to your previously registered mobile phone which you have a very limited time to enter before you can proceed into the site.

In other cases we use Google Authenticator (GA). Essentially the same. The GA app on your phone is synchronised with the globally unique serial number of your mobile device and to the particular account you are using and a code that is generated by the app must be keyed in and match with the login at the institution. Again there is a time limit set which you can change. We have it set to 1-minute after which time the code expires and you have to start again. If you fail in 3 attempts then the account will lock and you have to go thru a rather nauseating experience to unlock it again. So we don't let the failure happen.

It just means that even if anyone manages to somehow acquire your account/password details they still cannot get in and do anything until they get past the 2nd factor. And unless they physically have your mobile device that aint gonna happen easily. Much safer IMHO.

But alas neither ebay nor paypal have offered this security feature as yet otherwise we would use it.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Paypal security

Like PJ, I have used paypal since before it was called paypal and acquired by ebay.  I have used it on ebay for 9 years.  Never in that time have I been asked to change my password.

I certainly have not heard of any large scale hacking of paypal that has necessitated everyone changing their passwords.

I suspect you have fallen for the oldest trick in the book and been well and truly scammed.

You should change your passwords again by logging into your account rather than clicking on any links.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply