Phone Numbers shown within listings

As far as I've always known eBay don't allow contact details such as phone numbers to be shown in listings.  This has always been the policy due sellers using eBay as an advertising platform and then flogging the item off outside the system.

Strangely though eBay seem to turn a blind eye to this practice in vehicle listings and as such nearly 99% of cars are sold offline.

Why would they do this ??

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Phone Numbers shown within listings

When you list an item through an eBay Classified Ad, you state a price, the buyer contacts you, and together you finalise the transaction outside of the eBay platform.

A seller is charged a FVF whether listing with a classified listing or normal listing.

A classified listing has a higher listing fee but the FVF is the same capped price.

Because ebay get the FVF it doesn't matter that the sale is done outside of ebay as the fee is capped no matter how much you sell the car for.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

So as this thread has digressed somewhat am I correct in saying that if you have a vehicle listed as an "auction" you are NOT allowed to have a phone number in the description while if it's listed as a Classified you can ?

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

Yes you are allowed to have a phone number in both.

Like I said a seller still has to pay a listing fee and a FVF which is capped so ebay get their money.

And because there is no purchase protection phone numbers are allowed.

It's buyer beware,so inspections are allowed before you buy.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply