Pickup requested by potential buyer

Hi all

Just wondering what people do in the following scenario: Item is listed with postage. Message is recieved asking if they can pickup the item. What's your next step?

I have been replying saying that the item can be picked up and will forward my details when they commit to buy. I tend to then never hear from them again!! They seem reluctant to press the "Buy It Now" button. Not sure why as it doesnt incur any fees for the buyer!

Is it better to just give them my address and phone number and then end the listing once they contact me with a pickup time? I don't really want to end a listing in case the deal falls through, but I also don't want to be in the position that someone else buys it whle I'm waiting for the "buyer" to pickup!

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Ending the item would count as selling off eBay and is actually against the rules (if a buyer finds your eBay listing and the sale is facilitated by eBay, they want their cut of the sale, so the buyer has to purchase via eBay for that to happen).

If you are willing to provide pick-up, the better option would be to revise the listing and include it in the postage section. 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

There is no way I would finish the listing.

The people you have had have simply asked if pick up is possible, they haven't actually said they have decided to buy.

My impression is they are just trying to work out in their minds whether it would be worth it if they could save the postage price, but that doesn't mean they have definitely decided to go ahead.

If they really want to buy, they will push that buy button.

If they were really interested but wanted to look first, they would ask.

Those people who asked re pick up, they decided they didn't want to buy at all. If you had finished the listing early, I doubt they would have turned up.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

Unless the potential purchaser has comitted to buy, do not end the listing.  Once they have pressed the BIN, then by all means exchange phone no's and give them your address - but not before you have received the 'Your item has sold' email from eBay.

Also make sure that you send an invoice minus postage once the purchaser has picked up the item (and obviously then mark as 'Payment Received' if they've paid you in cash)  That way eBay don't get a FVF on a postage cost which didn't happen.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Meant to say if you just mark off as 'Payment Received' the postage cost will be on what eBay takes as their FVF.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@5kazam wrote:
Meant to say if you just mark off as 'Payment Received' the postage cost will be on what eBay takes as their FVF.

The OP should send an invoice with the postage cost removed and change the dropdown to pick up (don't hit recalculate). Then mark as payment received and posted after the buyer has picked up and paid. If you don't change the dropdown to pick up and the buyer claims INR after pickup, the OP will lose as they have no proof of postage.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks TT. Should have included that. Been a long day.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

my suggestion would be to end the listing, then relist with free postage at a high price to avoid anyone else buying but add 'make an offer' get your buyer to make an offer at the price you would charge if postage wasnt added, then after they make their offer you accept. then message them you phone number to arrange collection.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply