Postal times

Winding down my presence on internet these days. About 5 years ago i could send an intra state of NSW parcel and get feedback the next day. This week i had a few sales on Sunday 15th, 100 free listings, and was paid quickly and had all in the mail Tuesday.

For all the fuss of Aust Post getting its act to together,  all my sales were interstate VIC and Qild, only one feedback today amd tracking suggests the other parcels have not even reached the local PO.

A book set to USA to Alibris, Nevada sent 11 days ago via Air still has not arrived.

.5 years ago, I used to send Friday local time and it would arrive USA time Tuesday (mostly by econ mail).  In Feb, 2015 it took an alibris airmail parcel 25 days to be received at Nevada..

i have no idea what has happened. as my understanding is things are getting better via technology. Has Sydney decentralised mail again to places far off? Is international mail going to say, Goulburn sent back to Masccot sent to Singapore and then onto USA?

Would like someone to give me link to explain why things are slower.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Postal times

I have no idea.  But I honestly think that AusPost have cut-back on staffing levels....that is the only explanation.

Recently I posted a large letter from Townsville to Brisbane ..... it took 12 days.... should have taken 3 or 4 at the most.

I just had an item delivered to me today that was posted from NSW on 9 January.  The seller was good enough to send me a replacement in the meantime.....so I have now marked this one return to sender.

I have had 3 items go missing this year posted from Townsville ..... and they have ended up in a black hole somewhere.

Very sad performance from Aus Post.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Postal times

@croybooks wrote:

Would like someone to give me link to explain why things are slower.

Money. (Lack of money to facilitate older service standards, or just wanting more money all round), ergo increasing prices, plus decreasing service standards.

I recently got off the phone with Australia Post about a tracked package sent to Chicago, which was dispatched to the US on the same day I posted it (awesome work, considering the last one took 4 days to dispatch), but hasn't had any scan events since (it's been a month between posting and now). They told me weather conditions have caused mail going there to simply pile up without being processed or delivered. Sounds fair enough, except... that it's only the tracked packages that are experiencing these issues (this is the second time I have posted these items to my buyer - $65 packages each time, with over $20 in postage paid, and I am seriously ticked that the other packages I've sent to the same area (at a third of the cost) but don't have tracking etc, have been delivered in 7-10 days after posting. (Well, I'm not ticked they've been delivered, just very dismayed that I - and my buyers - are getting worse service with something that costs so much more). It's not just affecting AU-US mail, either, lots of sellers from Europe etc are experiencing the same thing with their packages shipped to the US. 😞

My domestic packages seem to be arriving in decent time still, though I do have one buyer asking after an item at the moment (purchased this last weekend, and even though it might seem too soon to start wondering, it was just a standard letter and it's really rare for them to take longer than 5 business days). 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Postal times

I know a lot of country town post offices in Victoria have to send all the mail to Melbourne for sorting, then it gets returned to the recipients. Even if the recipient is only 50 k's from the sender, it will have to go about 700 k's to get to them. it's crazy and they call it cost cutting.It doesn't make sense to me at all.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Postal times

Update. the items from send date 15th March 2015  Domestic items were delivered in 5 days (Vic and Qld) and international in 18 days. Good grief it is supposed to be 1-3 days local and 1-10 days internationa air mail

Given I sell books I have two grievances with eBay. The weights they advise for books are open to serious fault. No two runs of books are the same. Weights can vary as much as 60-100gms, So auto weight/postage is severely fllawed and the quick delivery is flawed as their major partner in logistics is letting me down.

Time they got real and reduced books/meadia back to cheaper listings and abandon the the rediculous seller parameters as they cannot possiblly work most of the time.

I do not think eBay understand it is not  just book buyers doing all the book buying it was other sellers satisfying customer want lists. Now  small dealers look bad as eBay sellers dry up and delivery times become haphazard. Little dealers all over the country have suffered badly as opportunities supplied by eBay have vanished. Corportazation of the website has closed that little ray of light that was giving hope to many near retirees an income line. Hope eBay the corporation just gets more workers, so thet their taxes will pay our government pensions! Doesn't matter if they are not profitable, just have a large overpaid workforce is only required. lol

When the fad of internet is gone, goodluck eBay staff, we have consumed your future, just as have comsuned our present.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Postal times

Except for  letters some of you sellers try looking up some couriers and find one that suits you ,no good winging about AP just change carriers [  AP are only going to get worse ,look in the paper every day people are saying this letter has taken 2 weeks this parcel arrived 3 months later. why would you trust your goods with them ,i am not saying couriers are perfect but i have not had a parcel get to any where in most places more than 2 days in fact sometimes in my own state same day 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Postal times

I know it does not always work out cheaper ,sachels can be cheaper in the long run,  i dont do a lot of sending out as most are pick ups  , here is 3 parcels i will be sending on monday.

16kg to s/a courier $11.30  AP  $30.35........   2kg to tasmania  courier $15.10    AP $15.85..... 2kg melbourne   courier $6.75    AP $10.05.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Postal times

It does get annoying when things take forever to get to their destinations. I recently sent an express letter. It should have got there the following day, which is what i paid for. But no, it took 2 days.  Parcels back and forth to my family, still within the same state, used to take 3 days. Now however it could be a week or more.

AP now have dearer prices and less service.

I was really disappointed when they cancelled the 250g parcel rate. So annoying when an item that weighs less than 100g and thicker than 2cm gets charged at the 500g price. It's a real rip off

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Postal times

Except for  letters some of you sellers try looking up some couriers

No problem with this, it is just eBay favours Aust post and that is a root problem. If they were truely capitalistss they would find the cheapest and most efficient service, not an unweildly sinecure operation. Sometimes monopoly vertical intergration is sensible. sBay ought to do its own delivery at the cheapest price. History shows IPEC bulked onto state rail systems and just collected nd distributed from the statiosns,calling themselves interstate couriers lol. This mob has no idea about capitalism. Just spoon feed business drivel. I would imagine none of them would last three months as real business people. they have rivers f gold which they are slowly squandering......a study of book depositary shows ":post dumping" is rife on the internet and why eBay does not do a similar plan is puzzling.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Postal times

another package 2 x 12kg  to nsw  courier $12.78  AP 1 x carton only $26.05  so i asume double price $52.10

most couriers only charge a small fee for multiple cartons  in this case $1.48 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply