Posting to a different country then the one during sale, how do we pay import tax?

megmat9
Community Member

Hi Guys, Since postage to buyers country is restricted we have both decided to send to the US and then forward it to Brazil, the issue might be with import taxes, which usually is applied automatically by ebay. How would we go about handling paying the import taxes?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Posting to a different country then the one during sale, how do we pay import tax?

I don't know the answer to your question.

But the postal system in Brazil is shambolic at the best of times; the mind boggles at what it may be like currently in one of the world's worst pandemic disaster zones.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

The buyer is responsible for any import taxes and levies. If there are any to the US.

Make sure that the sale happens AFTER the buyer has changed their address to the US one. Also be aware that postage to anywhere overseas is still slow and eBay will allow the buyer to open an INR case once the last estimated delivery date has passed. If you can't prove delivery you will lose your item and your money. Given the buyer doesn't seem to know that they are liable for any import charges, this could well be an issue.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd rather have the item and no money than no item and no money.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Seriously, if you are so desperate for sales that you accept buyers from Brazil then be well pepared for ongoing grief with the transaction. 

Even under normal situations dlivery delays etc are a hassleI,

In todays COVID environment your deliver may never arrive

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

OP is proposing to post to the USA, not Brazil.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

OP is proposing to post to the USA, not Brazil.

I read it as posting it to the USA and having someone there post it on to Brazil.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

So did I.

But once it arrives at the US address, that's the end of the OP's responsibility.

I still wouldn't do it.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Given the buyer doesn't seem to know that they are liable for any import charges, this could well be an issue.

The seller does not seem to realise that she has no responsibility for import charges either.

Once the parcel arrives in the USA the seller has fulfilled her side of the deal.  What the buyer does after that is up to them and they are responsible for all further charges.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply