Problems with a customer - what to do?

Hi everyone, im currently having some issues with a customer who purchase one of my gaming products. Basically the item memory for a n64 console. I have been selling these for quite some time now, and have had the occasional faulty one in which i always refund or exchange after the unit has been sent back.

However in this instance the customer has claimed that the unit has broken his console, which i find very hard to believe as essentially all this product is RAM, just like in a PC and as far as im aware faulty ram can't really do damage to other components.

These are the messages that have been sent back and forth.

BUYER -

hi mate i buy a few things off you and your products are always great and work well. But with this jumper pack, when placed today in my system there was no screen at all just the blue av no signal screen and i tried using the av cables i brought from you which work on my super nintendo - the light red powers on but nothing and then i took the cover off and tried cleaning the system well and put it back in still nothing but red light i then took it out and in a 4th or 5th time turned it on and there was now no red light - the console worked well before it had the expansion on it and i swapped it to a friend for something else and i got this but it appears to not work and now my systems either blown a light or the entire unit i would just like to hear from you thanks

MY RESPONSE -

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear your having trouble with your console. It is possible there could be a fault with the jumper pak. However the light should be coming on regardless of wether the jumper pak is plugged in or not so it sounds like there could be an issue with your console.

Did you have an expansion pak or a jumper pak plugged into the console prior to this?

Essentially this product is just ram/memory for your n64, much the same as a ram stick for a computer. There is no reason something like this could damage a console much like a faulty stick of memory could never cause any power faults to a computer system.

I'm happy to give you a refund but i would require it to be sent back to me for testing (I would of course reimburse you for postage) alternatively if it does turn out to be a faulty jumper pak I can send you out a new one instead of giving you a refund if you would prefer that.

Sorry for any inconvenience,
*name*

BUYER-

hi again today i found a console at cash converters with a expansion.pack i took console home tested and.it worked the i put jumper pack om and nothing then i changed back to original ome and now.nothing jus the same as my original console sorry for late reply.but i have not had any luck finding one to test so now i bit the bullet and spent 70 for another and now it too powers on and no screen just blue

BUYER-

hi
on my first console i had an expansion pack i then i swapped it for a few games from a friend and it worked well i jusr brought your one to get it working and i got no picture on it - the problem with the light was the power point from the wall was removed by mistake.

Today as i mentioned i brought another console with and expansion pack on it and it worked right away i played it for a while i then de powered the item for a few mins and then placed yours in there and nothing i then put the new expansion pack in my old one and nothing i then de powered again and put everything back and now nothing on the new system - how do i return a system in perfect working order that was tested infront of me one day later saying its broken with no idea how ? i now have two broken console one costing me 70 dollars and unable to return as i have tried just 20 mins ago and my original console as well

i had to buy another console as i could not find one to test your item on and im lucky i did not find a friend with one and destroy theirs

MY RESPONSE-

Hi *name*,
I did ask you to send the item back for testing so I can't comprehend why you would then go out and spend money on a new console when you were originally under the impression that the unit damaged your original console.
If you would like a refund I will still require it to be sent back, regardless of wether the unit is faulty or not.
Thanks,
*name*

BUYER-

hi
so i would have sent the item to you for 7 dollars postage and you tell me the item is fine and send it back for another 7 dollars and im left with a broken console and down 14 dollars? i got the other console to test the item to make sure i had proof it was not just your word against mine., i was wanting to test on this machine then return in exchange for another items at the shop i purchased the item.

If the item is faulty and i sent it back to be tested you would test it on your machine and in turn ruin yours. And i would get another replaced.. but no machine to use it on - i now have a broken machine caused by a product you purchased from someone else hoping to resell and i now have a broken machine unable to return costing me 70 dollars.

if i send the item back and its deemed faulty which i highly doubt it would be, you would just refund me the purchase but what about my machines that are broken from a product you sold

MY RESPONSE-

I would be refunding you the total price on its return, including the initial cost of postage. The cost of the postage you would incur sending it back would be also be reimbursed upon receiving it. I would be happy to do this regardless of my testing it to be fine or faulty. The main reason I do this is to avoid the instance where someone just says an item is faulty hoping for their money back and a free item in their pockets. I'm not saying this is the case here but there are people out there who do this. I understand that this could possibly ruin my console as well if infact it has already damaged two consoles in a row as you say.
I have been selling these jumper paks for the last 18 months, selling around 120 in total. In that time I have had 11 faulty units and not one has ever damaged a console and have been sent back and either replacements or money back has been given.

Im trying not to be rude to this customer, however i can't help but think that he is simply trying to scam me, get his money back, keep the item and possibly get reimbursed for a console which may or may not be faulty. I have had him abuse me once before in the past saying that i overcharged him on shipping on a previous order. In that case he simply purchased the two items and paid for them straight away without even asking me to combine the shipping, so i wasn't at fault. I simply refunded him the difference in postage in that case and appoligized for the inconvenience.

Im just wondering what my best course of action here is? I would defintately consider reimbursing him if in fact one of my products has damaged his property, but the fact that he seems unwilling to send the item back makes be beleive he is being dishonest. How can i assume that my product has damaged his console if he can't be bothered sending for me to test myself. Yet he can be bothered to go out and buy a new console just to test it even though he beleives it damaged his first console. Why would anyone in there right minds do this and risk damaging another console. I think he is lying, but obviously i can't say this.

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Problems with a customer - what to do?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You have done all you can in this case.

Just let him open a paypal dispute and answer as you already have.....return the item for full refund and if it is faulty you will also refund the return postage (if this is what you want to do).

If he does not return the item with full tracking then he will not get the refund...simple really.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply