Protocol Question

I had an item listed. A ebayer bought a couple of itmes from me (instant payment and free postage) and requested a third item at a cheaper price as all the items would be posted together. I changed to listing to "For...ebayers name....

Another ebayer has come along and bought the item with instant payment.

Is it unreasonable to request the buyer cancel the transaction?

Do I have the right to cancel the transaction and refund the money as it quite clearly states that it was for a specific ebayer?

Advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Protocol Question

I don't think you're supposed to do that... ie, list an item for a specific buyer.

Well, actually you can- I've done it before in similar circumstances- but I did it with the buyer on the phone and online at the same time. As soon as the listing was up, they clicked and paid.

If someone else comes along and pays for it in the meanwhile.... well, that's the risk you take. I wouldn't try to explain to the new/actual buyer that "You weren't meant to buy that b/c it wasn't meant for you'. It's not really their fault.

Interested in what others will say here, but I'd admit here that I took a risk that backfired somewhat. Since the new buyer has paid, sell it to them and apologise to the buyer you set up the listing for.

It's not your fault that another buyer came along, but then again you took a punt doing this in the first place.

Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Protocol Question

yes you are totally allowed to list items for specific people.

Yes you are within your rights to ask the other buyer to request cancellation as it was a private listing. Just be careful cancelling if you initiate it because if you select the wrong option you can end up with a defect on your account. select buyer made a mistake, then refund the money.
Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Protocol Question

My understanding is, (and what I would have done in your situation) the 2nd buyer who bought the item with instant payment is the rightful purchaser of the item and you should proceed with the sale to them.Even though your first buyer had an interest in his (3rd item) ,it appears he did not purchase it buy it now, instead of buying, he elected to negotiate a price.If the lisitng is active, that is what it is, It is active and available for first come,first served.Your first buyer should have bought the item, and then asked you to alter the invoice for cheaper cost etc, after hitting the buy it now button, and not before.If you offer your first buyer this explanation I am sure they would agree, technically they had not purchased it, they only had the intent to purchase.

Over the years I have had similar requests, some buyers follow through with their intention to purchase, and others do not (they get me to organise multiple items in the one box, then disappear, without ever communicating again.Who ever gives you the money 1st, gets the item.

Other ebayers may see this situation differently,maybe wait for another few replys to come through, then you can make a better informed decision on what you want to do.Remember the first buyer (3 items man) can't leave feedback becuase they did not purchase it, however, 2nd buyer (who paid the $$) can leave feedback, be it negative or positive.

Regards.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Protocol Question

Kane, not if the buyers name was in the title of the listing. (which it was)

In future to stop the same happening again, say the item is worth $30.00 make a listing with the persons name in the title but make the listing a buy now with increased price eg $300.00 with the best offer option, then tell the buyer to offer the correct amount and you accept it. That way you are less likely for some unwanted buyer to purchase it.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Protocol Question

Technically, the second buyer who bought the item hasn't met the terms of sale, since the listing was clearly stated as being for another member.

"Buyers who do not meet the sellerโ€™s terms as outlined in the item listing are not permitted to bid on or buy the item."

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/know-buyer-policies.html

Whether or not eBay would see it that way and support you where needed if they refused a cancellation and so forth is a bit of a different matter - they are notorious for supporting buyers who breach eBay policy by bidding on or buying items when they shouldn't. 

The best thing to do to start with is contact the second buyer and explain that the listing was for a specific member and listed at a negotiated price due to prior purchases and hope that they are reasonable enough to agree to a cancellation. 

Edit: For future reference, one tactic to avoid this possibility is to list the item at a ridiculously high BIN amount with the best offer feature enabled, then instruct the buyer to offer the negotiated amount. It's unikely someone will come along and BIN a $10 item if it's listed for $500, and you will then be in full control over the offers you accept.

Second edit: ....or, what harley said. Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Protocol Question

get outta my head Digi
Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Protocol Question

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:
get outta my head Digi

....but mine is a scary and confusing place sometimes Smiley LOL, I like to take my leave of it every so often and go visiting. Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Protocol Question

In the past I have got it around it by listing the item with exorbitant postage .... say $50.00.  Then when the correct person buys it, tell them to wait for invoice, and you can remove the postage for them.

In this case I would be contact the 'buyer' and telling them it was a private listing for the person named in the title.

Thank them for their understanding, if they get narky offer them a discount on another item.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Protocol Question

Well, turns out I was entirely wrong OP- please ignore me and listen to the sellers with bigger numbers next to their names ๐Ÿ™‚

It doesn't seem very sporting to list an item with "For XXX only- Nobody Else!"... it's probably the closest you can get to trading outside of ebay w/out trading outside of ebay, but if it works then great.

True, the 2nd buyer didn't read the listing properly, but I wonder how you'll get away without exasperating them/copping a defect.

Very interesting!

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply