Question about postage labels

akgall0
Community Member

I sold something recently and got an email saying that it had been bought, and to send it by a certain date. I took it to the post office the next day and bought one of those Express satchels and put in all the buyer's information and sent it out, then wrote them a PM telling them what the tracking number was and that it had been sent out. However, eBay themselves also ask you to use their system to print a postage label.

I was wondering, as this is my first time selling, is using their postage label required to get paid? They are holding my funds until 10th July so they can verify that the buyer has received their item and that I'm legit. Unsure if they won't release the funds to me because I used a padded mailer from the post office and not eBay's postage label.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You do not have to use ebays postage label.     As long as you updated the sale with the tracking number you will be ok - did you load the tracking number onto the sale?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I think Ebay has forgotten who is foremost in the world of Ebay YOU THE CUSTOMER.

As a buyer they just cancelled  an order I had previously received because my post code is now not on there preferred list. No more buying on Ebay for me.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

@1973leemcp wrote:

I think Ebay has forgotten who is foremost in the world of Ebay YOU THE CUSTOMER.

As a buyer they just cancelled  an order I had previously received because my post code is now not on there preferred list. No more buying on Ebay for me.

You don't have to keep announcing your departure. No one cares, least of all ebay. Ebay didn't cancel your order, the seller did, so take it up with them. Not sure what your issue has to do with the query the OP had.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@akgall0 wrote:

I sold something recently and got an email saying that it had been bought, and to send it by a certain date. I took it to the post office the next day and bought one of those Express satchels and put in all the buyer's information and sent it out, then wrote them a PM telling them what the tracking number was and that it had been sent out. However, eBay themselves also ask you to use their system to print a postage label.

I was wondering, as this is my first time selling, is using their postage label required to get paid? They are holding my funds until 10th July so they can verify that the buyer has received their item and that I'm legit. Unsure if they won't release the funds to me because I used a padded mailer from the post office and not eBay's postage label.

As others have said, you don't need to use ebay postage labels. They are merely one option. A lot of sellers have gone to Australia Post Business, because if they post so many items a month, they can get a postage discount (can't remember how many parcels, but it's not many).

As a new seller, your funds will be on hold for up to 30 days. Once the tracking shows as delivered, if the funds aren't released, get in touch with ebay and give them the tracking number and they should hopefully release your payment. The hold will continue until you can prove yourself as a reliable seller. If you don't sell again for awhile, the hold will be reinstated. It's to stop scammers hijacking accounts and running off with people's money.

Also, have you signed up for Managed Payments, so ebay know where to send your money?

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

You definitely do not need to use an Ebay label. I hand write all my customer information.

You will, however, come unstuck if you do not load the tracking into the transaction itself.

Just messaging the customer what the number is will offer you no protection in the event of a dispute.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, I did. I recall inputting the tracking number into the sale. Tracking does show their item was delivered on the 1st of July 2022 so I should be able to give the number to eBay themselves if they don't release my funds by the date they gave me.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply