REDUCE MY FEES

bmr4x4
Community Member

How can I reduce my ebay selling fees. They are currently 9.5% of my sale. with Paypal another 3.5% thats 13% I am losing on every sale!! Is there anyway of reducing the final value fee? 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: REDUCE MY FEES

Put the price of your stock up if you are losing out on every sale. If there was a way to reduce fees, we'd all be doing it!

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

bmr, I'm afraid to say that everybody is in exactly the same boat as you. There is no way around it.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

For a start you could close your shop and save $19.95 or more every month (depending on the type of shop you have).  Your selling fees would increase to 9.9% but unless you sell a lot of items the saving on the shop fee would be more than the extra .4% in selling fees.

If you sold $1,000 a month, your selling fees would increase by $4 but you'd still save $15.95 if you currently pay for a basic shop.  You need to do the sums on when it's worth having a shop and when it isn't.

You get 40 free listings a month if you don't have a shop and they can be either auction or BIN.  Most people are able to use AR (auto relist) so the listings run for 4 cycles and still only count as one listing, so you could have 40 different listings run all month (or longer if you do them on 10 days) with the standard free listings.

Having a shop is of no benefit if you only have a few listings.  You're only lining ebay's pockets.  Yes, the fees do bite, but if we pay for extras that we don't need, we can't blame someone else.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

We have 3 basic stores and our FVF's are 7.9%. I note you have a store so your FVF's should not be more than 7.9%.

Remember that with a store if you use auctions then you pay $1.50 for each one. You don't get these free, only your BINs.

Also PayPal fees are 2.4% + 30-cents transaction fee. So not sure where your 3.5% comes from.

This will change on 12th Feb by the way.

After that date if you have more than $2500 per month in aggregate sales the PayPal fees will be 2.2% + 30-cents.

If under the $2500 then you will pay 2.6% + 30-cents.

We have a total of 5 selling IDS and overall between ebay and PayPal fees we average just under 15% of total sales in their fees.

About pretty normal I'd say and if I knew of any other way to reduce this I would be onto it.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@bmr4x4 wrote:

How can I reduce my ebay selling fees. They are currently 9.5% of my sale. with Paypal another 3.5% thats 13% I am losing on every sale!! Is there anyway of reducing the final value fee? 

Sell less.Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

There are a couple of ways to reduce fees, and also to reduce the impact of some of the fixed fees (for example, the store subscription fee - $19.95 per month is better spent on up to 200 free listings rather than 10, plus more stock and variety etc, also tends to increase traffic, if you can manage it that is). 

Not using free postage can reduce overall fees, depending on how your business model is set up and whether buyer have a tendency to buy more than one item. As FVF is charged on the total a buyer pays, it means the less a buyer pays, the less FVF eBay gets, which means if you can combine and reduce postage costs for buyers, everybody (except eBay) is a bit better off. 

As far as I know, your eBay FVF should only be 8% with a store - it's fashion, tech accessories, media and collectibles that only go down to 9.5%. 

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

unfortunately this is how big business works, creat a monopoly then screw everything you can outta the mugs that have no reasonable alternative but to use your said monopoly. so until an alternative to ebay appears in the online selling market to give ebay some competition sellers will be screwed. not holding my breath waiting.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Make a ton of sales and apply for a better rate

My eBay rate is 6.8% and PayPal 1.5%
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

im shocked at the cost of fees these days.

i just sold some items with free postage,im not doing that again, im adding a small fee of about $2.50 or $3, nothing too much but it helps me out and does not deter too much.

so annoying that ebay charges a fee on postage now, a service they dont provide but we do.

its like as if i walk in the bank and they charge me a food fee and dont provide me any food, thats not a service the bank provides they arnt a cafe, and to charge something for nothing is illigal. a scam. so angry bout that.

if ebay wants to give me something for that fee on postage like free envelopes or stamps, but to provide nothing is illigal, its a seperate fee not a fee to list but on postage only!!!!

in the listing too write in bold that you prefer other options above paypal, some may still use paypal out of laziness but some may use cheaper methods.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply