Red Street Box Mail Clearance Days Xmas - New Year 2017-2108

Has anyone been able to find any info anywhere on what days these boxes will be cleared?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

It's a safe bet to say that they will be emptied during the weekdays that AP is open and not emptied on the weekdays that AP is closed.

The red boxes are never emptied on Saturdays, and I doubt very much that they will be emptied on the 24th and 31st. The driver will be drunk anyway...

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Clarry the street boxes will only be cleared on the days that the PO is working....Wednesday 27th, Thursday 28th, and possibly Friday 29th.

I say possibly the 29th because some POs will be open even though it is their Picnic Day holiday.   There will not be any deliveries by your friendly postie although contractors and StarTrack will be working.

To be honest, I would avoid posting anything between Christmas and New Year if possible.....once things get caught in the system they can take a long time to get out again.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I posted a question on the AP Facebook page and got the following reply today....

Public holidays we will be observing, and as such clearances won't be carried out for Street Posting Boxes (SPBs), are 25 December, 26 December, 29 December (Australia Post Authorised Holiday and 1 January.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

It is interesting that they are acknowledging the 29th as a holiday when they are saying that the post offices will be working that day.  Only a very few LPOs will be working that day.  It is a bit misleading IMO.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

My local post office was open on the holiday last year, and in previous years if I remember correctly. I remember once saying something about being surprised they were open, but the response was basically "of course we are". They're not an LPO, either, so after that I always assumed the holiday itself was for the delivery side of things, maybe processing as well, which made me feel bad for the counter staff, as surely they'd deserve the day off as well. 

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Digi, as far as I can work out the holiday is only for the posties who put your mail in your letterbox.

StarTrack and the AP parcel contractors are working as usual.

It used to be an Australia Post holiday...full stop!  There were so many whinges because AP took extra time off between Christmas and New Year that now it is limited to a very few PO staff.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Definitely from a seller's perspective, it's kind of annoying that it's in amongst the Christmas and new year holidays, since it can mean something ordered before Christmas may not arrive until after January 1st, and while you can explain to people what's going on, it still feels like a really long time for delivery. 

But I get why it's at the end of the year after all the overtime etc, and before it's business as usual with people coming back from their own holidays. Still, I'd be pretty miffed if I missed out on it because my job was behind the counter, or somesuch. 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

The air round here was pretty blue when we found out that StarTrack was working all 3 days between Christmas and New Year.

My OH has always started his annual leave on the last working day before Christmas up till Australia Day.

This year he was told he had to work the 3 days between Christmas and the New Year.  It essentially cuts his  holidays short by a week.

Even sillier is the fact that half the commercial customers in his CBD run are not going to be open anyway so it would be very easy for another driver to deliver to the few businesses that will be open.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Digi, as far as I can work out the holiday is only for the posties who put your mail in your letterbox.

StarTrack and the AP parcel contractors are working as usual.

It used to be an Australia Post holiday...full stop!  There were so many whinges because AP took extra time off between Christmas and New Year that now it is limited to a very few PO staff.

We don't have any mail delivered in town but the post office here is still closed so it can't be just for posties who deliver mail, unless they consider that by handing it to us over the counter they're posties.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply