Refund for change of mind?

Hi all,

I am having an issue with a buyer wanting a return. Lately ebay returns seem to be getting really out of hand.  I am finding it very difficult to work out how to make any of these buyers happy. Is it just me?

I sell clothes for young women and they don't seem to be able to understand that we don't refund for purchases because they don't like how the item fits them. They seem to think it is entirely natural to buy a dress online, have it sent to them, try it on, then return it for their money back. Since when did ebay become a virtual change room? 

Check out this message;

Hello I would like to return the dress because I am not a fan of it. I also do not like the zipper on the dress it is not an easy zipper to unzip and zip. Please give me the address that I should return the dress to. I will be sending it back right away has not been worn at all.

Is it just me or is this crazy? 

Does anybody think that it would be wrong for me to refuse? And if I do refuse how do I word the reply without this buyer getting **bleep** off at me?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Refund for change of mind?

That's why I just stick to what I know when I reply to buyers. 🙂 I know what their problem is (as in, what's been communicated to me through their messages 😄 ), I know what my policies are, and how they apply to their issue, so once you have that information separated out from the other stuff messages about problems can bring up, it becomes a lot easier to know what to say, and wherever possible, I just try to focus on something I am prepared to do, even if I'm not prepared to do exactly what they want - I personally do not respond to much else in a message aside from those particular things, unless it's in the form of a direct question. (For example, if they mention feedback, I do not address the comments in my reply because it's not going to change my policies or the options I provide).

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

that is a really good way to explain it. I wish I had your ability to clarify so well. As a woman i think my emotions make such a mess inside my head that i can't even think clearly. Or maybe thats not a 'woman thing', just a 'me thing'.

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

@press_play_au wrote:

so now that you have done an oustanding job rewriting my returns policy and response to refund emails for me, would you consider writing the rest of my new listings? Hahaha

hmm

Maybe, but be forewarned that my descriptions for my own items are rather clinical, but when I write them for other people, my sense of humour tends to take over and you'll end up with a description that looks like a poorly drawn comic book littered with pop culture references, lame jokes n' possibly tales of doom.

All this and more can be yours for only $99.99. Smiley LOL

PS, I do know where you're coming from - digital*ghost has the mind of a woman, too 😄 - but I've also been here for a few years, and had the benefit of a thorough forum schooling from others with plenty of experience with these sorts of things.

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

Gosh press_play, I understand how you feel about this.

It can be extremely tough to send those emails refusing refunds.  I still find it hard, even though I have been selling a while now.  I just want my customers to be happy with their purchase, and I feel disappointed when they are not

.... however, I just don't refund if someone does not like something or it does not fit.   

In addition to DGs comments above, you may wish to add (as I do) a paragraph in future emails something along the lines of that the buyer is free to reuse your photos and descriptions if they wish to resell, such as:

Please feel free to use my photos and listing description for this garment if you wish to recoup your funds. If you decide to do this, you should be able to click into the ended listing description, and click on the photos to access links to a larger size photo suitable for copying to another listing.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

The Australian Education System has alot to answer for.

Me included.Smiley Happy

Bottom line is, paypal and ebay have made this system to easy for the dishonest people.

People like you and i (and many others) operate as honestly and fairly as is possible, but the system is not necessarily in our favour.

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks heaps guys! Honestly, these forums have really become a place of sanctuary for me when I feel like the whole (ebay) world has gone mad and I don't know where to turn. You're all awesome and have made me feel so much better and ready to face another week of selling on ebay.

*Digitalghost - read my new and updated returns policy when you get time. I would add your name to the credits but I didn't think you'd appreciate that too much, lol.

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

Sassy 🙂

I'm almost inspired to start selling clothes again - my new store would be called "Your Butt Will Look Big In This", and it'd have item titles like "Scare Your Boyfriend Pink" or "Scare Everyone Else Nude Tone Leggings" (member ID: you_cant_say_you_werent_warned )

Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

This would definitely brighten my day! Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

Digi, you know that girls are getting butt implants and fillers these days?

your store name will be working for you either way 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

Digi, you know that girls are getting butt implants and fillers these days?

I've seen those, sort of like a modern update of the old bustle. 😄

I once also wanted to create a zombie clothing store (as in, not clothes zombies would wear but horrible fashion that won't rest in peace, i.e. basically shop full of "ugly" clothes). If I ever get the time, and someone else hasn't nicked off my my awesome business gimmick idea, I might open one and just have both as store categories. 🙂

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply