Refunds to buyers who change minds

Hi all

I am so angry with Support - so please excuse my tone, I'll try and be civil.

A buyer changed their mind - and did the right thing and sent it back at their expense.

I checked with Support and they stated that I could deduct the shipping fee $6.49 from my refund - which I did. The buyer seemed OK. But - eBay's ridiculous system kept telling me that I had not fully refunded - and if I didn't it would automatically TAKE it!

After about 45 minutes on the chat today and two operators messing me around - the one who supposedly could help, seemed unable - and then started to advise me that I should perhaps seek out cheaper courier rates - after 15 years in business!

Eventually, I got so tired of all the time taken without it being solved - I left and refunded the $6.49!

Spoiler
凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )

Aaargh!

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

imastawka
Honored Contributor

If the buyer returned the item at their expense, why would you want to deduct a shipping fee?

They also paid the shipping fee to get the item in the first place.

I don't get the problem.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Ah, I see now.

Ebay wanted you to refund the original shipping fee as the total cost.

Sorry about that.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Your items are listed with "free" postage - while in theory, everyone knows that means "postage included", in practice that means you pay the postage if the buyer doesn't keep the item, as eBay no longer allows sellers to deduct a restocking fee from refunds, and they actually explicitly state that you can't retain any amount from the refund to cover postage costs in their policies, I'm afraid. 

The only time sellers are able to deduct money from refunds is if the buyer returns the item in damaged condition - if the listing was free postage (and only if it was free postage), the sellers is allowed to deduct a small amount for loss in value, but I think there's a cap on the amount and I'm not sure how it's facilitated. 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply