Regulatory compliance, All Sellers Must Read

As an Australian manufacturer and distributor i would like to point out some of the laws which are required to be obeyed by if you are distributiing goods inside australia or from outside of australia in to local customers.

1. Electrical Compliance

All goods that are sold in australia that are electrical in nature must be certified for C-Tick standards, Which means your product must be approved prior to selling it in this country. Penalties start from $1320 per item sold and you may be liable for criminal prosecution under part 4 of the crimes act (deception offences)

Items include: Household electrical goods, Power Tools, Car Entertainment items (stereos,dvd players, screen etc)

2. Telecommunications Compliance.

All items that have the ability to directly or indirectly connect to a public switched telephone network MUST be tested and certified prior to being sold in this country (A-Tick). Penalties start from $1320 per item and up to $13,200 if found to be of commercial quantity. penalties also include being prosecuted by deception offences under the crimes act.

Items include, cabling products, networking products, wireless products, modems/routers etc

Here is a scenario as to why you should never supply illegal goods to customers:

A Customer purchases a toaster off ebay,and the toaster appears to work well. Whilst the customer is away from home, the toaster has an insulation fault and the toaster catches fire due to arcing wires. As a result the customers home burns down.

Fire inspectors find the toaster to be the cause of the fire and the insurance assessors researches the toaster and finds it was a non compliant item. The insurance company refuses to pay the insurance because the customers policy was voided because they were using illegal items.

As a result your customer is out of a home, they now have to sue you as a seller and also take action in the criminal court, you end up losing your assets and possibly do jail time all for a toaster.

on average i am finding between 20-50 sellers a day which are not complying with the relevant laws, The Australian Communications & Media Authority has a form for complaints of non compliance:

http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/equipment-compliance-and-labelling-complaints

In order to learn more about compliance, See www.acma.gov.au or www.erac.gov.au

Help keep australia free of illegal goods, if you see someone distributing illegal items, report them immediately.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

As a seller of secondhand books, why should I read?

if I sold secondhand clothing why should I read?

If I sold handmade craft items why should I read?

If I sold cheap knockoffs of brand fashion and the actual manufacturer was not interested in the VERO programme why should I read?

Do you think ALL sellers sell electrical goods?

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

*has nightmares about lights from China*

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

so what if the electrical item is sold as not working ? - 

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

so what happens when you list an  electical item as not working? 

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Did you read this bit?

"Help keep australia free of illegal goods, if you see someone distributing illegal items, report them immediately."

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

The items I purchased were located in Sydney. They arrived via Beijing complete with power adapter thingies....

*sob*

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Are you trying to say that if we have a house fire while using some of our UK electrical items which we have brought to Australia with us that our insurance company would not pay up? If you are then you are wrong as after another spate of these type of posts we actually checked with several companies and all of them said of course we were covered.

As anyone can go to China and pick and choose exact replicas of all types of compliance marks from all over the world how could anyone who unknowingly purchased something that had a legal looking compliance mark and an Australian plug be expected to know it was not legal?

As op shops sell electrical items specifying that they have not been tested what makes you think somebody cannot sell their second hand items in the same way?

As a general principal you are right and I would never buy anything like a computer battery or phone charger from a Chinese seller but you do have to use common sense when you buy anything.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

As op shops sell electrical items specifying that they have not been tested what makes you think somebody cannot sell their second hand items in the same way?

Op shops (and others) are subject to a range a legislation that varies from state to state, for example Victorias's requirements are cut and paste below (source energy safe victoria (esa).

Sale and supply of second-hand equipment

If you are selling or supplying second-hand electrical equipment you must make certain information available to prospective buyers.

Organisations and individuals supplying or offering to supply second-hand electrical equipment must be aware of the legal obligations imposed on them under electricity safety legislation. These include:

• A person supplying or offering to supply second-hand electrical equipment must attach a label to the equipment stating that it is second-hand
  • A business, including major charitable organisations, supplying or offering to supply second-hand electrical equipment must also attach a label stating that the equipment is second-hand and has been inspected and tested, and is compliant with Australian/New Zealand Standard(AS/NZS) 3760, or
  • If it has not been tested, the business supplying or offering to supply second-hand electrical equipment must include a clear statement on the label stating the equipment is second-hand, with additional words as follows: DANGER – DO NOT USE OR CONNECT TO SUPPLY – THIS SECOND-HAND ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT MAY BE FAULTY AND SHOULD BE INSPECTED AND TESTED BY A COMPETENT PERSON IN ACCORDANCE WITH AS/NZS 3760
Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

If it has not been tested, the business supplying or offering to supply second-hand electrical equipment must include a clear statement on the label 

So you agree that if you are not a business but somebody just selling off your unwanted personal items it is OK as long as you say they are not tested etc.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 25
Latest reply