Reporting returns scam

Is there anyway of reporting a person on ebay that hasn’t purchased from me? 

I received a message claiming there was an issue with an item this person had purchased from me. I told them to send it back for a refund. I checked into the ‘buyer’ and they haven’t purchased anything from me.

apologies if this has been asked before i couldn’t find any similar threads and eBays help is not very helpful.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Reporting returns scam

Why report them ?  Just send them another message and say you have no record of a sale to them........

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Reporting returns scam

people make mistakes.

If it was me, I would reply with “You have not bought anything from me.  Please check purchase details and contact your seller”.  I wouldn’t report them based on one message.

If they message again tell them to open a case through eBay or PayPal.

If they persist then just ignore them.  It is not like they can open a case for refund or return.

If they really bother you then come back here and someone will have posted how to contact eBay (it is so long since I have done so that I don’t want to post misleading information [as some do]).

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Reporting returns scam

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

......................I don’t want to post misleading information [as some do]).

true.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Reporting returns scam

I would just ignore.

They cannot open a case since they have not purchased. There is one scam going around where the person claims they have an issue with an item and asks for a refund outside of Ebay (or whichever platform). Not sure how much success that has, but doesn't stop people trying.

Having said that, are you sure they didn't purchase anything more than 3 months ago? The reason is that seller transactions only stay up for 90 days.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Reporting returns scam

As has been said, don't jump to conclusions.

The buyer probably has you mixed up and may have responded to a similar item in their watch list rather than their purchase history.

A polite message stating they have contacted the wrong seller suffices.

image host
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Reporting returns scam

As already stated, it could be an honest mistake. 

It could be that the buyer bought the item from another account (multiple accounts are allowed), or that he/she looked up the item, or had the item in their "recently viewed" items and clicked on the listing, thinking that was what they had bought, but they had bought from another seller.

Contact them first and ask them for the order number, no need to report them at this stage.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply