Responding to a return request

I've recieved a message from eBay

"BUYER let us know that they want to return item Toyota Corona Tail Lights (pair) 1979 - 1983 sixth gen XT130 Sedan for a refund."

But when i click on the "See request details" I get an error message

"We couldn't process your request because of a technical issue. Please try again."

I have until the 24th to respond and have been trying for the last couple of days all with the same result.

This is for some used car parts that i sent to Peru in mid Feb.

Just wondering how i can respond when i cannot see the details?

and

what happens if i don't respond by the 24th?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Responding to a return request

I suspect the item is past the allowed time for a dispute. I think the time is 32 days from eBay's delivery estimate. In this case, being 3 months after the sale date, the limit has well and truly expired.

Just reply that you won't accept the return. If they haven't opened a case for not as described, it is up to you whether or not you wish to accept a return.. I wouldn't, but I wouldn't sell anything to Peru, either.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Buyer has filed it under 'Ordered by mistake'

It is my understanding that for this it is up to me as to if i accept it, and that if i do i only have to refund the item cost. and that postage to them and returned to me is the buyers resposibility.

Would i be correct with this?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@therivdl wrote:

Buyer has filed it under 'Ordered by mistake'

It is my understanding that for this it is up to me as to if i accept it, and that if i do i only have to refund the item cost. and that postage to them and returned to me is the buyers resposibility.

Would i be correct with this?

It would depend on your returns policy. If you state no returns then as it is effectively a change of mind request you do not have to accept a return and refund. If you have anything else as your policy then that is what you should do. If you specify that you accept returns then you should agree to them sending it back, unless you say that you will pay the cost of the return then it will be up to the buyer, it would be better if you do say that in your policy though. As to refunding the full payment or just the item price it again depends on your policy.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Hi all,

Thanks for your help so far, after much persistance i have managed to get into the details of the return.

The buyer has left me a comment (in spanish being that the item is going to peru) and a google translate says this

"Hello The article is what I needed, but there is a customs problem In my country there is a regulation where they prohibit the entry of auto.parts used, so sign a return document, I would like to know how to reach an agreement. I thank you for the attention . Manuel รngel."

So it turns out he wants to return the item through something outside of his control.

my listings do say 'No Returns' but for this guy i do feel bad. He has bought an item in good faith and some gov red tape is stopping him recieving it.

I feel that i should refund the item price on return of the goods at the least. Although i don't have too i think it is the least i could do. (i'm getting soft)

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

If the item is returned then you should refund the cost of the item, otherwise you'd have the money and the item and that wouldn't be right. It's up to you whether you refund the postage costs. As you have a no refund policy, you aren't obliged to.

You can reply to him using google translate to let him know how you're going to proceed. Write what you want to say then translate it. Before copying it, translate the translation back to English first. Sometimes what you wanted to write and what they end up seeing is 2 different things. You don't want to reply in good faith only for him to get a message that sounds like you are being rude. If the back translation sounds whacky, it's usually just a matter of changing a word or 2. For example, post office might translate as being something insulting, but postal office sounds like it should.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply