Retracting bids!

What are the rules around retracting a bid?
The reason put was "wrong amount entered" when it was the minimum bid amount...
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Retracting bids!

If a buyer uses that as the reason to retract a bid they are told they must rebid with the correct amount.

If they did not do this then you can report them for invalid bid retraction.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

@*sparklz* wrote:

If a buyer uses that as the reason to retract a bid they are told they must rebid with the correct amount.

LOL what? That's the first time that I have heard of that. It makes sense, I guess, however, I wouldn't want eBay forcing a buyer to place a bid on one of my items under sufferance. That would be the easiest way to get defected under the new system!

And Coleb, I would just be happy that they cancelled straight up rather than having to undergo the draining 'Unpaid Item' process.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

@justajunk wrote:

@*sparklz* wrote:

LOL what? That's the first time that I have heard of that. It makes sense, I guess, however, I wouldn't want eBay forcing a buyer to place a bid on one of my items under sufferance. That would be the easiest way to get defected under the new system!

And Coleb, I would just be happy that they cancelled straight up rather than having to undergo the draining 'Unpaid Item' process.

Invalid Bid Retraction

A bid is a binding contract. All bids are active until the auction ends. If you win a listing, you're obliged to complete the transaction. Except under special circumstances, bid retraction is not permitted. Furthermore, misuse of the bid retraction option to manipulate the bidding process is not permitted. This includes any manipulation of the bidding process to discover the maximum bid of the current high bidder or to uncover the reserve price.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

• Listing cancellation

• Limits on account privileges

• Account suspension

• Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

• Loss of PowerSeller status

HideAdditional Information

To report a trading offence:

1. Include the appropriate information, including any relevant emails, Only report a case once; multiple emails about the same case slow down an investigation.

Notes:

• eBay will consider the circumstances of an alleged offence and the user's trading record before taking action.

• Disciplinary action may result in a formal warning, temporary suspension or indefinite suspension.

• If a complaint can't be proven with certainty, we may take no action.

• Due to privacy issues, it's not possible for eBay to discuss the results of an investigation.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/invalid-bid-retraction.html

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for that. All very interesting, however, looking at the negative consequences for those who are serial bid retractors...

@*sparklz* wrote:
Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:
  • Listing cancellation

• Limits on account privileges

• Account suspension

• Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

• Loss of PowerSeller status

...how many of those would really deter a BUYER from retracting their bids? I guess account suspension would be something.

But anyway, as mentioned above, I simply wouldn't want to sell to a buyer who feels forced to go through with a bid.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I simply wouldn't want to sell to a buyer who feels forced to go through with a bid.

Absolutely and given the limited reasons for cancelling many just choose the first option, I would much rather they cancelled their bids than went on to win and then didn't pay.

Ebay do sanction buyers if they have cancelled a lot of bids so a seller can check to see how many and if it is excessive they can report the buyer to ebay. occasionally they do take action and either limit the buyer to BIN sales only or suspend their buying privileges altogether.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

"I would just be happy that they cancelled straight up rather than having to undergo the draining 'Unpaid Item' process" - Amen to that.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

"...the draining 'Unpaid Item' process..." - Beautifully put.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@coleb_2014 wrote:
What are the rules around retracting a bid?
The reason put was "wrong amount entered" when it was the minimum bid amount...

You do not know they put the minimum bid if they put $1,000,000 it would only show the minmum bid until someone else bidded.Also it is better they retract than bid and not pay. I think if you retractbecause ofwrong price you are meant to rebid with the corrt pricewhich I have done before as a buyer but as a seller if there is a chance they would not pay I would rather the bid was gone

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Feb 2015.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply